Any hotel occupancy reports?????
Posted: 03 September 2013 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2012-10-10

We seem to have almost as many hotels, now, as Chineese/Mexican restaurants.  New hotels have gone up all over town.  At least two more are either under construction or are proposed.  Were all the hotels full this past weekend?  Have we caught up with demand?  Will the Chamber or The Mercury do a poll of local hotels and see if there were any not at full occupancy for an event that brought something on the order of 50,000 to town?
The taxpayer is pretty heavily invested in one of the facilities.  That facility is, undoubtedly, the one with the highest rack rate.  If a hotel price war breaks out, will that facility be able to compete?
Local hotels have been able to charge two and three night minimums on football game days.  I’ve heard a number of people from outside the community feel this has been price gouging at its best.  With the additonal rooms, are the hotels still able to book full with the multi-night minimum requirement?  Or, are they having to actually only charge for the nights that are occupied?

Posted: 05 September 2013 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Don’t know the answer to your question but I do notice the outlandish weekend rates at the Motel Six as I drive to Dillons. The posted rates are a lot higher than the $6 per night from which they derive their name, although the quality has not improved significantly since the $6 days.
Of course, the upped rates are price-gouging. Not unique to Manhattan, however.  Most university towns…especially the little ones, live by price-gouging.

‹‹ This was BSE day for me      Deer, Hadley.... ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.