How about them Cats…
Posted: 31 August 2013 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Baylor colors…. Green and Gold.
University of North Dakota colors… Green and Gold.

Hint to Snyder… Check team colors before any future scheduling.

Posted: 01 September 2013 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2012-10-28

Obviously disappointing.

However since K State is not competing for a BCS Title this year no biggy, just a pre season game with bad results.

It is alarming that there was no sign of a sustainable running game.

24 minutes time of possession NOT GOOD.  When K State beat RGIII the Wildcat offense had the ball for about 40 minutes RGIII had it for about 20 and K State won the game by 1 point.  Can you imagine what RGIII could have done with an additional 16 minutes on offense?

Point being, if K State does not show up in Austin with a running game we are likely to see a score reminiscent of Futility U.

How hard can it be? Just grab 3 of the biggest 2nd string linemen you can find, convert them to running backs in a full house backfield and run 1 ton of Wildcat between the Guard and Tackle every play until you run out of downs.  It certainly has a better chance of success than the nonsense they were running against NDSU.

Changing gears now, Could it be, that K State is getting screwed in a second hand sort of way by Jerry Sandusky?  When I get access to a time machine I’d like to go back in time, put Sandusky in jail 10 years ago, then in 2012/13 Jake Waters actually goes to Penn State and Daniel Sams is the starting QB for the Wildcats and in the revised future/past, the Grand opening of the West Stadium Center and the reveal of the 8 ft Bronze likeness of St. Bill are accompanied by a 45-7 trouncing of NDSU as Daniel Sams takes over where Colin Klein left off.

I don’t mean to make light of Jake Waters, I’m sure he will be a good to great pocket passer and maybe even have a much better shot at the NFL than Collin Klein.  BUT APPARENTLY K State’s coaching staff hasn’t figured out how to game plan for a passing game that can be effective and still take enough time off the clock to keep Big 12 offenses from rolling up 60 points.

Someone tell me if I’m off my rocker or just dead wrong,  based on the NDSU game it is very difficult to imagine K State winning 6 games this year.

Posted: 01 September 2013 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Don’t despair just yet Gray. They weren’t that bad…well, the offense anyway. Daniel made one excellent…lucky?...play.  That doesn’t mean he would have been consistent.  Jake had good numbers.  I think you can forgive him that last interception.  They were in hail mary territory. Now the bobbled ball from center…well, that was probably more significant.
Here’s the way I see it. NDSU is a talented and experienced team.  The lines between the FCS and the FBS are blurring.
In this case, the Great One was simply out-coached.  The decision to punt shallow consistently was a brilliant move…of course, you have to have confidence in your defense to do that.  Given the levels of experience, I don’t see this as a “stunning” upset.

Posted: 01 September 2013 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2012-10-28

Oh yeah, speaking of shallow punts/kicks…

this is a great teaching moment (for K State Coaches not players)  HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO SEE SHALLOW KICKS,  BEFORE YOU INSTRUCT YOUR PLAYERS TO FIELD THE SHALLOW KICKS AND LATERAL TO THE RETURN MEN?

Apparently K State coaches need to see it a thousand times before they never figure it out.

The K State wildcats looked like a team playing there first game of the year.

The K State coaches looked like they were playing there first game EVER.  I’ve seen better coaching in High School.

Posted: 01 September 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
I agree.  I also agree that a one-dimensional offense is iffy at best. I think perhaps interchanging these two quarterbacks on a regular basis, depending on the situation, might be advantageous.  None of that matters, however unless you have some sort of consistent defense.  If they are going to rely on trading touchdowns, then the great one should start receiving the ball on the opening kick.
That said, I still don’t think they were that bad.  They were beaten by a better team, and, as I said before, in the last few years, the line between FCS and FBS has blurred.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.