Interesting full page ad - Save The Auditorium
Posted: 25 August 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Verterans groups… fraternal organizations… benevolent organizations… A full page ad in today’s The Mercury asks one and all to attend Tuesday’s Commission Meeting and stand up to those who want to wreck the Peace Memorial Auditorium.  Interesting….

Typically, you see the conservative politicians siding with the veterans groups.  On this matter, it appears the two ultra-conservative commissioners will run afoul of some of these folks.  It will be spitting in the eye of these groups if a significant number of the Tea Party type suggest anyone who is in favor of preserving the auditorium is a ‘left leaning liberal’. 

The conservative commissioners say, “We’ve voted on this thing three times.  Award the contracts and wreck this thing!”  There may have been a number of votes to move this project forward, but all the information about the plans for the Auditorium was not disseminated to the public.  The two conservative commissioners voted to rescind two ordinances when they took office.  The Parks & Rec project isn’t even a resolution or ordinance.  Yet, they don’t want to even consider alternatives.

Could be an exciting and riotous evening at 11th & Poyntz….

Posted: 26 August 2013 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

The good ol boys won’t hear a thing.  Just watch.  Lots of gas will be passed, but in the end, it’s not about fiscal responsibility or serving the citizens or the betterment of Manhattan.  It’s about passing out our tax dollars how THEY want.. to WHOM they want. 

I’ll say it again.  Manhattan is too big for the small-minded people at the helm, and has been for some time.  Manager, flappers, and staff are in the pocket of the good ol boys.  Time for a flush at city hall.

Posted: 26 August 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

The advertisement talked about having a large group in attendence at the September 3rd Commission Meeting.  Evidently, that’s where someone has suggested the issue will come back up… IF it comes back up.  Wonder if they will try to sneak it into the Work Session tomorrow night and decide not to bring it back before the people.  Or, a bunch of cronies will appear at the work session and suggest allowing ‘them thar librals’ to influence decisions would not be holding to the Tea Party values.

Randall, I do believe you’ve hit the nail on the head.  It doesn’t mean a hill of beans as to finding the best alternative.  It’s not allowing the liberals to “win”, even if it means going up against conservative veterans groups.  This has become a political hot button that certain commissioners feel would bring them embarrassment if another alternative is chosen.

Posted: 26 August 2013 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

I don’t see that at all, Larry.  Spending millions to convert a memorial into office space can’t, in any way, be considered a teabag, us-agin-them, priority.  Unless, you know, they’ve circled around to arguing what the definition of “is” is…

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2012-10-10

I personally think the whole thing is stupid.

I grew up using the gym for 1 thing- Basketball. When I got older I used it for 2 things- Coaching Basketball and a managers meeting for Rec Softball.

I only found out that this gym was a Dubya 2 memorial recently. Obviously those who are putting up a stink never cared about it before to truly bring outs its history or existence. Not until its being endangered to allow for more community members to utilize it.

I vote to update the AC, Tear down the bleachers and create a second court while keeping the stage. Why waist so much money for parks and rec when they are dwindling- Adult softball has gone downhill, participation in youth sports has gone down etc… (my opinion through coaching and participating)

Why dont we build them a second mobile building for $50,000?

Posted: 27 August 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Randall Baughman - 26 August 2013 06:27 AM

Manager, flappers, and staff are in the pocket of the good ol boys.

You say “flappers” and I think Louise Brooks, and I’m reasonably sure that’s not what you mean. Explain?

Cannot agree more on the city commission and local politicians being far too small-town minded for a place as big as Manhattan. The way they get swayed by any developer that bothers to come here reminds me of an old “Simpsons” episode, where a flim-flam man cons Springfield into building a monorail.

Posted: 27 August 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Flappers as in Gulliver’s Travels, Stacia. Those go-betweens who passed face-slaps down from the pompous Lilliputians to underlings

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.