Voir deer!
Posted: 24 August 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I was headed for a garbage sale this morning, and turned onto Amherst Avenue.  I was immediately confronted with a herd (four) of deer who came charging out of the doctors office parking lot right in front of my car.  I had to slam on the brakes, and I wasn’t going very fast. It is bad enough that I have to worry about them on the highway…and, yes, they have me paranoid about driving during the dark…but, broad daylight in the city? This is getting me really paranoid.  I have encountered them on Anderson Avenue near Hudson, but did not expect them on Amherst.
Wynn, I want you to stop this now. Pass an ordinance or something.  In the last three years, deer have cost me over $4,000 in car repairs.
We don’t have any deer in Hooterville.  Why are they all over in Manhattan? What will happen when they charge through Aggieville on Faux Paddy’s Day?

Posted: 24 August 2013 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Seen more deer activity and deer kill on the highways that I can ever remember for this time of year.  I have a 13 miles stretch of highway I drive 4 or 5 mornings/week.  Saw 3 deer kills on that short stretch just this past week.  I drove between two, about 5:30 one morning this week.  They came out of the ditch.  One barely got past my front bumper and the second hesitated and crossed behind my truck.  They were small.  I hope these small deer would do no worse damage to my pickup than a large dog.

Don’t know if it was the cool weather or what.  Just seeing lots of the pesky rascals out there.  Can’t understand why the Fish & Game won’t change bag limits or something to thin out the herd.

Posted: 24 August 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

I’ve heard from out-of-state hunters that they are being given a doe tag with their buck permit.  Don’t know if that will apply to residents.  But, it seems they’re prepared to shrink the numbers a little harder.

Posted: 25 August 2013 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I understand that some states have added seasons. This includes the KC area where the deer were attacking the interstate.  In the past, it has only been a real problem in the fall, but the last two years, it is all the time. I see at least one every time I drive to Manhattan. Some morning we are going to have a bad accident on 24 when one or two of them jump in front of the lead car and then what will happen to the fifty tailgaters all going 70 mph?

Posted: 25 August 2013 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

In Missouri, you can take as many does as you want.  A family I know over there took 13 one season.  They do their own butchering, have 3 very large growing boys, and eat all of every deer they take.  The mother/wife still hit 5 in one winter.  She hit one of those with a rental car while her car was in the body shop being repaired from just hitting a deer.  That’s over in the Mark Twain Lake area and it is thick with deer.

I would like to see a longer season and a larger bag limit.  And… I don’t hunt.  But, if they were hunted harder, perhaps they would be more cautious about running around causing havoc on the highways.

Posted: 25 August 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I think the problem here and elsewhere is that developers have taken over their habitat, and so they venture out. Here the big problem seems to be the area around what used to be Scenic Drive. They were always bad on the Keats road and now it is worse.  I won’t even take that road in daylight.
I am not a hunter either, but I do miss my quiet, coffee drinking, early morning drives.  Now I wouldn’t look down to the coffee cup for a moment.
I know the area in Missouri you are talking about and, you are right…they are thick there. A couple of years ago I drove to San Diego and in New Mexico and parts of Arizona, they were equally as thick.
Never saw any in California on the route that I take which is, I think 5…that terrain is too steep even for them.  In fact, I never saw a deer anywhere in southern California.
The route I take to San Diego goes from Yuma and runs along the ...dare I say it?...Mexican border near Mexicali and then up the rock hills of California to San Diego.  Quite lovely but treacherous.  It is a long way down to the bottom of those rocks. If you went off the road, no one would ever find you.  Very high elevation.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.