What happened?  Tea Party?
Posted: 19 October 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

I missed the Tuesday evening Commission Meeting.  I see we agreed to spend a couple million dollars beautifying Downtown.  New trees.  New sidewalks. Make it look good for the businesses, so more sales tax can be collected.  At the same time, the 3 conservatives shot down the request to waive $23,000 in permit and connection fees for low income housing.  Why?

Since the low income housing probably receives some money from a Federal program… since the low income housing will be occupied by folks from that “47%” that Romney could care less about… since the residents of low income housing might actually be some of those that would benefit from “Obamacare”... evidently, Downtown businesses profiting from a couple million was more important than waiving $23,000.

The City waived over $100,000 in permit and utility connection fees for their croney developer for the high rent residential buffer units along 4th Street.  I believe further permits and utility fees were waived for that same developer on the South end for a residential unit.  Smooze the Commissioners… pay your membership in the Chamber of Commerce… get your fees waived.  Don’t dare assist those who might be part of the “47%”.

What have I missed?  Someone set me straight as to why this request was denied.

Posted: 25 October 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

I did not vote on the other requests you mention.  The developer is already receiving benefits for building the housing.  The housing will be built with or without the city providing the $23,000.  The 23K would just increase the developer’s profit margin.  This was in fact a 23K give away that was prevented.  It is a step towards debt reduction by elimination of unnecessary spending.  Not one penny of this giveaway would have translated into any benefit for the needy.

As for the downtown project it includes the water main repair – which will result in the destruction of the sidewalk and trees on one side of the street.  The project also has lighting improvements, drainage improvements and other safety features.  The main street effort has been labeled as a totally cosmetic project, which it is not.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.