The cat invasion of Hooterville
Posted: 31 July 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

We have something of a cat problem over here. They are everywhere. I just received the newest additions. Four tiny hungry kittens…a blonde, a tabby, a calico, and one beautiful black kitten with a white breast and white feet. I put food out for them, and so they hang out on my front porch.  I am now up to about fourteen. They are hungry and I feed them as do others in Hooterville.  The convenience store owner also has a set, and he puts out biscuits and gravy for his each morning, as did the former mayor. None of us have ever had mice or snake problems.
It does pose a problem getting out the door in the mornings.  They are all there waiting for breakfast. Most desire to be indoor cats but I can’t do that.
Now, the Hooterville city council has addressed this issue and wants to hire someone to take care of “the problem”.
I fear that they will take the little cats away and put them to sleep. All of these cats are feral at first, but, after they get some attention, they are quite tame and friendly…at least with me.  They flee when humans come on the porch. I wish they could all find nice homes, but trying to give away a cat is like trying to make the city commission in Manhattan reasonable.

Posted: 31 July 2013 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael:  I already have a houseful of cats and if I bring any more they will get nabbed by the Animal Control Folks.  We always had several cats on the farm.  Maybe these folks can help with the problem:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KS98.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Four-Paws-Rescue-of-Kansas/127982143938739

Posted: 31 July 2013 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  714
Joined  2013-07-13

Hey Michael. I’ve been down here working all month. Breakfasting at your favorite breakfast place. So I’ve had the opportunity to read the local Free Press.  It’s bizarre!  Every place I’ve lived the Free Press is put together by old hippies and fringe types. Here, it’s a bunch of dittoheads and Beckistanis! 
It’s also why Bob’s not on this forum any more. They give him the trifecta. He gets his old campaign picture posted every week. He gets to dream out loud about what he’d be gassing about if he hasn’t lost last election, and he gets to use the royal “we” when he talks about himself… Which is damn near every sentence…  I tried to count the “we"s and “our"s in this last paper and finally gave up in the 20’s someplace. My pancakes got cold!

Posted: 01 August 2013 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
Wasn’t always that way.  There was an editor at the Free Press by the name of Ray Krantz.  I rented a big house from Norma over on Claflin across from Wharton Manor.  From time to time she would find strays and send them to me as roommates because “You have so much room”...So I got the recently divorced, tossed out people…Remember Bill Burke? I also got Ray Krantz for a short while.  He was a liberal’s liberal. Not a bad guy but very Jewishly intense. We had some hearty discussions over US/Israel relations.
Once she sent me a pair of Iranians, one of whom was a Shah man and the other an Ayatollah fellow.  They would scream at one another for hours, but they did cook up some mighty fine grub.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.