Citizens Speak Out Against…..  :>)
Posted: 30 July 2013 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2012-10-10

Local | Government & Politics | July 29, 2013
Citizens speak out against proposed porta-potty commission
A public forum saw a number of citizens speak both for and against the proposed Riley County Porta-Potty Commission.  Riley County Commissioners have proposed the formation of a committee/commission to improve the quality of life through the placement and use of porta-pottys.  A number of local business owners were the most vocal.  “My property taxes go up each year and I don’t have a single porta-potty for my customers to enjoy.”  This seemed to be the theme of those in favor of the proposed committee.  They feel that only construction sites in Manhattan and Riley County benefit for porta-johns.  “It’s shameful when customers have to use our public restrooms.  We could reduce our number of employees by 30% if we didn’t need to clean restrooms.”  Business owners feel the City’s handing of $1 million/year to the CVB (Crap and Void Bureau) is wasted on porta-johns for events like Faux Patty’s Day and Country Stampede.  A petition drive will be initiated to have the City/County leave the porta-johns in Aggieville year round. 
Oh the other hand, there were those in attendence who were adamant that local government needs to stay out of the potty business.  Local realtors don’t like the idea of public facilities.  “We market Manhattan as a near toilet-less town.  That’s what we have so many grocery stores and hotels for.  There are plenty of public restrooms in the government financed facilities!” 
It does appear discussion after public comment may have developed a solution.  An artist is being commissioned to build a bronze toilet as the centerpiece for the 4th & Bluemont round-a-bout.  The design will include an arm and hand coming out of the toilet bowl, holding signage giving directions to the plethora of grocery stores and hotels where travelers can find relief.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.