The basketball capital of the world…Manhattan, Kansas
Posted: 25 July 2013 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I did not realize that roughly one-third of Manhattan citizens played basketball, that is, until I read a comment from commissioner Butler on another thread where he posited that 14,000 people played basketball in the old auditorium last year. Good grief, that would put us on a par with Washington, D.C., Newark, New Jersey and the south side of Chicago. If that is true, there must be non-stop basketball going on there 24 hrs a day.  It is clear that Mr. Butler is a huge basketball fan.  I wonder if Bruce Weber knows about these 14,000 basketball players?  Surely he could find five good ones out of that number and save all this expensive recruiting.

Posted: 25 July 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

The statistic Mr. Hilgers provided at Monday’s Historic Resources Board for the usage of the gym was 3,424 unique users.  Factoring in that these users frequent the gym more than once for practices and such, then the usage was 15,442.

Posted: 25 July 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Kathy you are spot on with the numbers.  Michael I am not at big a basket ball fan, hardly ever play the game, to short.  I do watch March Madness each year, but that is about it.  It just looks to me like the data or numbers lean heavy towards basketball, volley ball, gym floor type use and less towards the theatrical use.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.