Going Postal
Posted: 19 July 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

We used to have a nice little post office over here in Hooterville. The mail was always put up in the boxes by 9 AM, and if it wasn’t, the postmistress would go and fetch it for you.  But, times change, and now we have several part time postal employees, and we are lucky if we get the mail by 11. This is particularly annoying to me because I prefer not to leave the house after nine or so. I am wondering why the mail shouldn’t be put up at, say 6AM? They have it…at least in Manhattan.  Over here, they have made up a little sign that says “Mail Truck was Very Late”.  They post this almost every day, so maybe it isn’t them.  Perhaps it is the mail truck driver who sleeps in half the day.
It isn’t just the post office.  With the exception Of Wal Mart, Dillons and HyVee, if you want to shop before 7AM, you are basically out of luck.  Many businesses in Manhattan won’t open until 10…almost lunch time.
I can’t wait for the day when Kansas says grocery stores can sell wine and liquor.  First, it will be much cheaper.  When I am in Missouri, I pick up the same bottle for $8.99…here it is $13 or more.
The really nice thing is though, I can pick it up when I am grocery shopping at six and not have to wait three hours for someone to open.  It is called “One stop shopping”.

Posted: 20 July 2013 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

An update.  Today they changed the sign to read “The mail truck will be very very late.  We are sorry for the inconvience”.
Soon it will be just like the Mercury. (They already have the misspelling down)...  We will get today’s mail, tomorrow.

Posted: 20 July 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Another update.  It is almost noon and still the mail has not been put up. No wonder that the postal service wants to close these small branches. Why pay someone for doing nothing?

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.