Ft Riley Blvd and Rossencutter/ichards Blunder
Posted: 18 July 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

Yesterday, I dare say I looked at the dumbest mapped out plans for road changes I think I have ever had the opportunity to look at. This Rosencutter/Richards Movement Changes will reroute large trucks into a corner they will have problems turning in front of the “Monument Center”. Needless to say some of the existing problems are at the “STORAGE” intersection just north/east of the bridge. So everyone on the south side of Fort Riley Blvd. is on an island now and must drive circles to go to get a drink at the FastLane.

That fancy crossover pattern will be real problems when people are headed home at night. So good job instead of one problem intersection you will now have one on each side of the cloverleaf you just built at the cost of HOW MANY MILLIONS?

No other way to say it but this is DUMB. Your problem is there needs to be a proper frontage road to access the businesses and create turning lanes in controlled intersections. Not routing traffic down the road to go in circles. But hey I know Manhappiness just loves a circle. Just put this plan in the trash and save us all some time.

I had some important mowing to do at home so I did not make the fiasco of a meeting yet today I got a report back that said the information put out was not to be released, so Oops. Then they supposedly went on to say there was no intent in doing what was reflected on the print outs I have in hand.
So my questions is, if there is no intent in changing as shown why are the employees of Manhattan doing needless drawings, research and just plain wasting time and money? Especially when it appears the direction they are headed (in my opinion) does not address the problem.
What a City Hall Blunder this one is!

Anyone else know more about this, or even care?

Posted: 18 July 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

This project is currently still being studied.  Options include doing nothing.  I am not sure I like the idea of circles and crisscross movements on both sides of the interchange.  The problem is just the north side, so why mess with the south.  In either case the study has to look at some longer term bigger issues.  The bridge at Wild Cat creek to the west will be rebuilt in the next few years.  The new bridge will help with flooding as it will eliminate a choke point for water.  The bridge will end up being elevated above the current grade.  This will impact the interchange and the intersection at West Side Market.  The completion of the Davis Drive intersection will also maybe change traffic flow.  I think four issues are at hand and need to be examined before making a determination – the new Wild Cat Creek Bridge, the elevation changes caused by bridge replacement, the intersection at West Side Market and the impact of Davis interchange on the traffic congestion. 

Posted: 19 July 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

Why not take a look at the I-70 Walmart Area in J.C. That seems to work, why they need to come out with some mind game here in Manhattan all the time just baffles me to no end. From the article in the paper last night and your statements. Building the new Wildcat Bridge has been needed for years. Only question I have is why is there not a frontage road going from RCPD to Rosencutter intersection? I guess for me it seems to let a little information out here, a little there is not a good plan. They need to develop From Westwood on out west and forget the piecing things together hoping it works and the public will agree. Or just forgetting the public opinion and shoving it down there tax paying throats. Having the HAMM, FEDX, UPS and other large delivery trucks turn that corner down Rosencutter from Stagg Hill will be a total joke. Seems as though some of the driving force is the $800,000 KDOT is offering and it is not always good to jump to and then end up with a big mess. Oh wait thats what we have now! Again I say the overpass and that intersection was just completed a year or so ago. So I guess there was no plan for growth or the projected traffic counts they had were useless. Makes a person wonder how good this tidbit of information is they are passing and basing their designs off of now.

Grab your ankles Manhattan

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.