< 1 2
2 of 2
The future of this, The Mercury on-line discussion board…
Posted: 15 July 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

I am once again a Kansan, and you may still refer to me as slumlord if you wish.  It is my plan to be a Manhattanite for the summers and falls, beginning May of next year.  I still think Brownback can/will be a one-termer, if someone with a brain steps up.  I don’t personally know a single Kansas republican (but I repeat myself) happy with Brownie.  I’m looking for a moderate from the KC area to step up, though I don’t have a clue who that would be.

Posted: 15 July 2013 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

You are dreaming, Randall.  Brownback has an excellent record in getting elected.  In fact he has never failed, unless you count that ridiculous run for the presidency. He knows his constituency and plays to them.
Joe EveryRube is his constituency.  He has gotten away with all sorts of shenanigans as governor.  At times, I wonder if he even believes in what he is doing, or is simply trying to show the world that he CAN do it…and get away with it.
My daddy made sage observations as well.  When, many years ago, there were rumors that Docking would oppose Dole for the senate seat, my daddy said that it was all good…if Docking won, we got Dole out of office and Docking out of Kansas.
Brownback will die a broken man if he does not become president. He has spent his life running for office.  He has never held a real job.  If, God forbid, he should achieve that goal, he will be sad to find out that, as president, he cannot play Czar. Even the dumbest republican congressmen will not allow him to tell them what to do. But, let us hope that never becomes a reality, and that instead, he will retire from politics and be appointed the head of the Kansas Board of Regents.

Posted: 15 July 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Sorry, Randall, but I completely agree with Michael.  Brownie is “God sent”.  He’s the hero of the far right.  And… Kansas votes far right.

There’s just no one out there, who can garner votes, that will run against him.  Tom Phillips?  Bob Strawn??  Kent Glasscock??  Robert Redneck??  I doubt even a Bill Self or a Bill Snyder would do well in an election against Brownie.  The Koch money backing him just keeps his name recognized as “The Chosen One”.  Brownie runs for re-election next year, 2014.  He’ll be re-elected.  Perry runs for POTUS in 2016.  If he should win, Brownie will pull and “Iquitarod” as did Palin and hook up as the VP candidate.  I just don’t think Perry will get far with his hard right wing agenda and I don’t know that the voting public wants another Texan this soon after “dubya”. 

As Michael said, Brownie’s never held a real job.  He’s banking on the current POTUS making the pendelum swing hard right in 2016.  At the least, he’ll be a front runner for a cabinet position if we are blessed with a Repub POTUS in 2016.  They’ll probably appoint him as the Secretary of Education.

Posted: 15 July 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Well, I’m out here in Limbaughland, and I tell you, a republican with a brain could take the mansion.  Out here, you see, everyone loves a public school teacher.  Some of my teachers still live in this town. My nephew is a teacher, and his wife.  NO ONE, is happy with Brownback… not even the people who had Santorum signs in their yards last election.  This can happen, but it has to come from republicans.  Someone has to step up.

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I agree with you agreeing with me…hahaha.  Brownback is a smarmy little bastard right down to his 1940’s pompadour…which he also sported in the 70’s. He ran as student body president on a platform of cutting costs and saving students money from “wasteful spending”.  He went after the debate program as well as others.  He cut our funding to zero.  Actually, it was a blessing. We were enjoying great success nationally and I was able, through the efforts of a fine department chair, Norma Bunton, and Dean William Stamey, to get administrative funding to replace the student funds that had, previous to Brownback, funded the program. Brownback cut a lot of programs even then, and preened about it. He is a first class prick.
(Oh, Randall, we can say stuff like that now because no one reads the forums). Our language consultant has disappeared.  I don’t even think Ned reads these anymore. If he does, he should take a hint and put things back the way they were.
Pleased that you were able to enlist.  I tried to respond to your e-mail but the Mailer Demon kept bouncing it back.  You aren’t on a ship are you? That happens frequently with e-mails to ships.

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
I have heard this for 35 years or so.  Nobody likes Brownback…BUT…they keep electing him. I don’t know anyone, personally who likes him, but somebodies are voting for him. I confess that I don’t know why, but, they are. You tell me who is going to successfully run against him in this backward state.
Well, wait a minute…I am a teacher…should I take him on?
As you point out, everyone in this state loves teachers….Hahahahahahahahahaha

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Hope springs eternal.  Having been gone so long, I guess I have trouble letting go of what the citizens of my state USED to be.

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
They used to be the same way they are now…provincial. They were that way when I was a kid.  They like mom, apple pie, racism, Xenophobia, the flag, and hot dogs. You, my friend, are dreaming about a place that never was…at least since the 1880’s when it was a liberal/populist state, but certainly not in your lifetime, nor mine. A petty, narrow-minded little insignificant state.
Go watch “The Second Civil War”.

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

That would be your opinion, Michael.  The rabid, drooling, gubmint-hating, talk-radio worshiping half-wits did NOT rule this state.  That’s only been since the 90’s.

Posted: 15 July 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Yes, Randall, they did.
I was a kid when they elected Dole for the first time. He was mean and nasty.  Now, I grant that he became more mellow with years, but he certainly was not mellow or funny then.
Are you sure that you grew up in this state? I was born in La Jolla, CA. I would love to return there and get out of here. If you could spare $300,000, I would move back in a heartbeat…hahaha…I could probably get a refrigerator box for that and live on the street.
I think you have this idealistic idea about what Kansas was like when you were growing up.  I used to try and have that as well, but, it simply wasn’t so. It was, is, and has been a nasty little place to live.

Posted: 15 July 2013 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

double post?  See below…

Posted: 15 July 2013 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Naw, Michael.  Bob Dole sat at my kitchen table many times over the years as I was growing up.  He was a kind, soft-spoken gentleman.  You are the one with the warped memory.  La Jolla’s not ready for you, Michael.  I’m not sure it ever will be…

Posted: 15 July 2013 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

You didn’t have to say that twice. I am glad that Dole was at your kitchen table, and not mine. La Jolla is ready for me.  That is where I was born.

Posted: 15 July 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Teachers don’t like Brownie… He’s slashed education spending and cost many a teacher their job.  State employees don’t like Brownie… Most are scared to use the restroom, fearful when they return to their desk Brownie will have cut their job.  The aeronautical industry in Wichita doesn’t like Brownie… He’s waged war against anything that resembles union work, sent Boeing packing, and has decimated the airline industry in Kansas.  But, Brownie has the big money on his side.  The Kansas State Chamber of Commerce… Koch Bros… Johnson County corporate CEO’s.  Moderates have been pruned from the State Legislature.  You’re either a “Yes, Brownie” or you have big dollars handed to campaign to get you out of office. 

I certainly hope Randall is right.  I hope there are enough people with common sense who will put an electable candidate forward and make Brownie a one-term wonder.  So far, anyone with the ‘nads to speak up has been castrated by the far right and the monied.  I fear that will happen to any viable competition as the next gubernatorial election cycle nears.

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.