Bicyclists
Posted: 01 July 2013 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I know I am probably pissing in the wind here, because, it appears that no one is here.  Anyway, I was wondering why there were Bicyclist detour signs around Varneys that directed them to go the wrong way on a one-way street? Not that they don’t do it anyway on a regular basis, but now it is sanctioned by the city?
Brad is beginning to show his bias towards these menaces.  I thought that the company line was that bicyclists had to follow the rules of the road…and, of course, only a fraction do that.
What if I drove the Buick the wrong way on a one-way street? I would be stopped and ticketed…not so with the bicyclists.  Apparently they can do as they please.
Anyway, Brad, congrats on no murders at the annual hoe-down.

Posted: 01 July 2013 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Heading south on Seth Childs early Sunday morning.  Bicycle in the target area, also southbound… in the right hand southbound lane.  No reflectors.  Wearing dark clothing.  If a car in front of me hadn’t suddenly swerved to miss him, I probably would have got him.  Quick reflex was that the car in front of me was swerving to miss a deer.  Instead, he had to swerve to miss an almost invisible bicycle.  And… who would have been at fault?  They’d have nailed the motorist for hitting the bicycle!!!!

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael,

Hey there - I was starting to feel lonely what with nobody calling me out lately! ;-)  As it so happens, I noticed those very same signs and in a meeting with my bike cops (one of whom is on the bicycle advisory cimmittee) last week discussed that very problem.  So, in response to Mr. Hadley’s concerns I have already asked the bike cops to: (A) start discussing the issue with cyclists they see violating traffic laws and to issue citations as appropriate - but start with warnings, and (B) make the City aware of the problematic sign(s) at the next advisory committee meeting.  Darned cyclists - they’re like squirrels I say…

Move along - nothing to see here :-)

Brad

Posted: 02 July 2013 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

“I was starting to feel lonely what with nobody calling me out lately!”

Director Schoen… No publicity is good publicity!  Manhattan/Riley County is blessed with a professional law enforcement agency!!!  It doesn’t take Google long to find numerous examples, nationwide, of those who are strapped with less than stellar enforcement.  I still believe RCPD is one of the premier agencies in the State… and, maybe, the Nation.
I also believe the consolidated force has evolved signficantly from the time Donn Everett worked hard to make this happen.  I would like to see some changes in the Charter as to how members of the Law Board are appointed.  Those ideas/opinions of Charter “legaleeze” does not take away from being so comfortable with the safety of our children, grandchildren, and ourselves who make Manhattan our home. 

Oh… I still become angered at bicyclists “hogging” the road.  Of course, that may be because I’m too old, too fat, and too lazy to ride myself!!!!  :>)

Posted: 02 July 2013 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Check the corner of Moro and 11th.  One sign points one way and the bicycle detour sign, right under it points in the opposite direction.  One way, both ways…hahaha…a bit confusing however.
Not a big problem however, because most cyclists do not read signs anyway.  There should not even be signs on that side of Moro, because they shouldn’t even be on it in that direction.
Brad already acknowledged the problem and so, hopefully those ridiculous signs will disappear soon.

Posted: 02 July 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry,

Occasionally one should just say thank you.  So…...thank you.

Director Schoen

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.