Closed lunch for MHS freshmen and sophomores
Posted: 18 October 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-08-12

The school board decided Wednesday night that next year, freshmen and sophomores will have closed lunch, while juniors and seniors will have open lunch. Good idea?

Posted: 18 October 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

I haven’t stayed tuned to this issue, since we no longer have kids in the local school system.  (We do have grandkids in the system.)  What is the change from how it’s being done today? 

Honestly, I don’t see any common sense in allowing high school aged kids to leave school for lunch breaks.  Why would you put a few dozen inexperienced drivers battling for spots in drive through lanes at local fast food restaurants.  If there is time to leave school, the lunch period is too long.  Shorten the lunch period to where there’s just time to eat and reduce the length of the school day.

Posted: 18 October 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

And how many new employees will it take to police that?
Is this the beginning of a turn around to feed the students enough food to sustain their setting in a chair all day?
Sounds like Sack Lunches from home are on the menu next year.

Posted: 19 October 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-10-11

School lunches are terrible these days.  They hardly provide enough food for elementary aged students let alone a high school student or a student athlete.  I don’t know if it was a safety issue to begin with but more a ploy for the school district to put more money into their coffers.

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-10-19

I think one of the reasons that they revisited this issue was because of the renovation at the high school.  There was no way to adequately deal with the number of students for lunch, before the renovation.  I am sure the local businesses will see a slight drop in their sales because of the school district action.  I support the board on this issue, especially with the changes in driver license provision for younger drivers.  As for the quality of lunch, I hear complaints of people of all ages and settings about institutionally produced food.

[ Edited: 19 October 2012 03:07 PM by Susan Peterson ]

‹‹ Street Patrol....      Jelani... ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.