What would happen if…..
Posted: 31 May 2013 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-10-28

Those of us old enough to have voted for Ronald Reagan can probably remember very well the unexpected and very rapid collapse and dissolution of the U.S.S.R

What happened Did the Russian Army go away?  Did the Russian Navy Go away?  What was the real difference from Soviet Union Running the show and its disappearance?

Well we know the Central Government of The Soviet Union (The Counterpart to the Federal Government of The United States for this drill) essentially went bankrupt and failed.  In the resulting power void the Nations that made up the USSR essentially assumed total sovereignty.  Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland to name a few.  East Germany reunified with West Germany.  But there were state governments in place, all they had to do was start acting like sovereign states, which they did for the most part.  The Assets of the former soviet union were essentially “Nationalized” by the state they were located in.  Probably teh most notable assets that became property of the individual States;  Soviet held lands and Real Estate, Military assets such as missiles, aircraft, naval shipyards, dock and ships, tanks and howitzers…

I’m sure we’ve probably all heard discussions or what if scenarios, contemplating the failure of the central government of the United States under its own fiscal red ink.

So what do you suppose would happen (dare I say WILL Happen) if/when the United States government joins the USSR on the back pages of history?

I’m not going to project my thoughts here but I am going to suggest that this is a serious issue that each state needs to prepare for and here are some of teh more serious issues.

What will States do with Seniors who are relying on Social Security Checks that stop.  Will States pick up the tap and add another huge tax burden to the people? (who by the way would no longer be paying Federal Income Tax)

What will States do with Federal lands and Real Estate.  (Fort Riley, Fort Leavenworth, McConnel AFB, Federal Courthouses, Federal Prisons (Leavenworth)? and more specifically what will States do with Federal prisoners who are guilty of committing crimes against a Federal government that no longer exists but have committed no crimes against the State?  Would we see these people set free because no one had prepared a legal solution in advance?

What will States do with Military weapons systems inside their borders, Aircraft,  Tanks, Howitzers, Missiles…?

What if anything will States do with thousands of suddenly unemployed Federal Civil Servants who will no longer have a pay check?

Will States want to go it alone or will several smaller states band together with a few larger states to create regional Republics?

If there is one thing that is certain, it is that no man made thing lasts forever.  So I ask, what would happen if The United States Government simply ran out of money and stopped operating?

The pat answer of course from most people will be, “Oh that could never happen”  and in 1988 I would have bet my life the same would be true of the Soviet Union… not that I cared about the USSR but it just seemed impossible to contemplate that which came about. 

I think the same forces that crippled the Soviet Union Financially (fiscally irresponsible people in government)  are doing the same thing to the United States Government.

The former Comptroller General of the United States, who is not a politician he is an accountant put out a very bleek portrait of the future of the US Government a few years ago and the economic situation has gotten far worse since then.  Here is a link to the video if you’d care to watch…

http://youtu.be/-tKmoJbsV2s

Just like a personal or corporate checking account its impossible to keep spending more than you earn without ending up broke, but that is the hole our Federal government is digging for itself…

Posted: 31 May 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-10-11

I like these sort of hypothetical’s as apocalyptic type shows/movies are some of my favorites.  This Jericho, and Revolution.

From a government standpoint I think the states with the largest land mass(Texas, California) and largest populations(Texas, California, New York) would try and make a power grab and start bringing in states and resources around them to create there own “nations”.  This is a two fold approach, as a “nation” with a large amount of people now has a larger tax base and/or a nation with a large amount of resources now has buying power, also a third and probably most important thing is large amounts of citizens can support/field a larger military.  Right now the bread basket/central states from the Mississippi to the Rockies are largely ignored by the people on the east and west coast but they tend to forget all their food comes from us.  With a central government no longer making sure companies aren’t price gouging simple things we now take for granted(food, water) now can be hoarded. 

I could go on and on, but you get the picture.  I don’t think each state would go to war, but the threat of going to war would be something people would live with.  In the end I would imagine the power would shift to states that have the resources, and supplies(central states) to support the more heavily populated states to the east and west.

Posted: 31 May 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2012-10-10

I guess I have a much more optimistic outlook on America than some of the wingnuts who are preaching doom and gloom.  Yes, the Soviet Union imploded.  There were more factors than simply an economic crisis that contributed to that world power falling apart. 
Today’s global economy is much different than it was in the time of Reagan’s Presidency and the USSR’s fall.  Is the U.S. in financial trouble?  Of course!  Will we fail and see alliances of States become their own soverign entities?  Nope!  Will American fall, in the near future, as did the USSR?  No way.  For one thing, China will not allow the U.S. to have total economic meltdown.  If the U.S. suddenly went bankrupt, divided in to numerous smaller entities… each with their own economic hardships… there would be no place for the Chineese industries to market their goods.  We are China’s largest customer of manufactured goods.  There are too many countries that depend on the U.S. for security and dollars.  Before we fall, as a Country, we would shut down foreign aid and that is billions of dollars pumped back into our economy.  Before we fall, as a Country, significant cuts would be made in the social programs that are contributory to some of our economic problems. 

Right now, the likes of Beck, Limbaugh, and Hannity are attempting to scare listeners into paying even closer attention by constant and consistent “the sky is falling” rhetoric.  According to them, this President will cause the fall of the United States.  If Congress continues to fail to do their work due to partisan politics and tricks like Nordquist pledges, difficult economic times will continue.  Those difficult times will continue to be hardships to many of our citizens, but the Country won’t fail.

America is still the greatest Country on this Earth.  We have survivied over 200 years and will continue strong for many more lifetimes.  There will be struggles, but we are a resiliant Country… a Country of millions of great Americans.  Besides, who would Kansas join if the U.S. were to fracture into smaller entities? Nebraska Cornshukers??  The Tigers of Misery?  Oklahoma Spooners?

Posted: 01 June 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

200 years ain’t long at all…check out Rome and Greece…and both were avid sports fans.

Posted: 03 July 2013 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2013-02-18
Larry Williams - 31 May 2013 07:51 PM

I guess I have a much more optimistic outlook on America than some of the wingnuts who are preaching doom and gloom.  Yes, the Soviet Union imploded.  There were more factors than simply an economic crisis that contributed to that world power falling apart. 
Today’s global economy is much different than it was in the time of Reagan’s Presidency and the USSR’s fall.  Is the U.S. in financial trouble?  Of course!  Will we fail and see alliances of States become their own soverign entities?  Nope!  Will American fall, in the near future, as did the USSR?  No way.  For one thing, China will not allow the U.S. to have total economic meltdown.  If the U.S. suddenly went bankrupt, divided in to numerous smaller entities… each with their own economic hardships… there would be no place for the Chineese industries to market their goods.  We are China’s largest customer of manufactured goods.  There are too many countries that depend on the U.S. for security and dollars.  Before we fall, as a Country, we would shut down foreign aid and that is billions of dollars pumped back into our economy.  Before we fall, as a Country, significant cuts would be made in the social programs that are contributory to some of our economic problems. 

Right now, the likes of Beck, Limbaugh, and Hannity are attempting to scare listeners into paying even closer attention by constant and consistent “the sky is falling” rhetoric.  According to them, this President will cause the fall of the United States.  If Congress continues to fail to do their work due to partisan politics and tricks like Nordquist pledges, difficult economic times will continue.  Those difficult times will continue to be hardships to many of our citizens, but the Country won’t fail.

America is still the greatest Country on this Earth.  We have survivied over 200 years and will continue strong for many more lifetimes.  There will be struggles, but we are a resiliant Country… a Country of millions of great Americans.  Besides, who would Kansas join if the U.S. were to fracture into smaller entities? Nebraska Cornshukers??  The Tigers of Misery?  Oklahoma Spooners?

Debt Has Increased $5 Trillion Since Speaker Pelosi Vowed, ‘No New Deficit
Spending’

(CNSNews.com) - When Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) gave her inaugural address
as speaker of the House in 2007, she vowed there would be “no new deficit
spending.” Since that day, the national debt has increased by $5 trillion,
according to the U.S. Treasury Department.
“After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to
a higher standard: Pay as you go, no new deficit spending,” Pelosi said in
her speech from the speaker’s podium.

“Our new America will provide
unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains
of debt.”

Read rest of story below:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/debt-has-increased-5-trillion-speaker-pe

Posted: 03 July 2013 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2012-10-10

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/boehner-s-house-has-increased-debt-18944-household

Your link is from 2010, evidently attempting to place blame for the ever increasing debt on the… then… Democratic led House.  The above line is from two years later, 2012.  The Republican led House… and Speaker Boehner… continued to raise the national debt.  This is NOT a one-party issue.  As long as our elected representatives… Democrat and Republican alike… are in bed with the moneyied in their constituencies the deficit won’t be resolved.

Our political system is in disarray.  Congress is bought and paid for by lobbyists.  Neither Party will work to resolve issues, if the solution might be construed as helping the opposing Party.  Yet, I still suggest this is the best there is.  There is no other Country in which I would rather live.  There is no other Country where we would benefit from the freedoms and liberties Americans have fought and died for.  I just hope and pray this next generation will have the will and the ability to come together as ONE Country… ONE voice… working together to solve the issues before us.  This current generation of politicians will not.

Posted: 04 July 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2013-02-18
Larry Williams - 03 July 2013 06:18 AM

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/boehner-s-house-has-increased-debt-18944-household

Your link is from 2010, evidently attempting to place blame for the ever increasing debt on the… then… Democratic led House.  The above line is from two years later, 2012.  The Republican led House… and Speaker Boehner… continued to raise the national debt.  This is NOT a one-party issue.  As long as our elected representatives… Democrat and Republican alike… are in bed with the moneyied in their constituencies the deficit won’t be resolved.

Our political system is in disarray.  Congress is bought and paid for by lobbyists.  Neither Party will work to resolve issues, if the solution might be construed as helping the opposing Party.  Yet, I still suggest this is the best there is.  There is no other Country in which I would rather live.  There is no other Country where we would benefit from the freedoms and liberties Americans have fought and died for.  I just hope and pray this next generation will have the will and the ability to come together as ONE Country… ONE voice… working together to solve the issues before us.  This current generation of politicians will not.

Well done.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.