Goodbye Hibachi Hut
Posted: 27 May 2013 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I am a traditionalist, but, I think we all must confess, that in the last few years, the “legend” lost much of its luster. I stopped going there in the nineties when the quality and quantity of the food declined as the prices rose…and I am not a fan of burned fish.  The “Belly Bomb” of the seventies became a puny little hamburger at three times the price. I will remember the Hibachi Hut fondly from the seventies.  I ate there almost every day back then. I think the beginning of the end was when they removed the old mural.

Posted: 28 May 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

According to Aggieville’s Facebook page, Hibachi Hut is headed to a downtown location.

Posted: 28 May 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Deb….
Why would they do that?

Posted: 28 May 2013 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

I have no idea.  According to the Facebook post, more detailed information will be provided on KMAN at 8am tomorrow.  It is curious that you wouldn’t go ahead and announce that you’re heading downtown at the same time you announce that you’re permanently closing the doors in Aggieville…unless it’s different people opening the restaurant downtown that operated the one in Aggieville.

Posted: 28 May 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

Manhattan’s Oldest Restaurant To Reopen In New Location

Posted: 28 May 2013 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

That’s just weird.  As I said, I stopped going there in the 90’s when the Cajuns took over and started selling burned fish. At that time, they had the Texas Star attached to them…arguably the worst Mexican food in town. Bad management can ruin any business…I remember returning to Manhattan in the early 90’s to find that Kites had been driven into the ground.  Who woulda thunk anyone could screw that place up…but…they did.

Posted: 29 May 2013 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

Wow, this is pretty upsetting. I loved Hibachi Hut and it was always crowded when we went in, though I didn’t like the most recent renovation where they removed the bar and made the floorplan more integrated with Texas Star (which I never cared for). I’ll be trying to new place when (if?) it opens downtown.

The only mural I ever remember in there was the big black and white picture of people fishing in a swamp. Loved the old building though, the ceilings and those old 1950s booths, and that really old light-up board to notify waitstaff when their orders were ready. I think that broke back in the 90s and they never fixed it, though. I hope this taco place doesn’t change much inside.

Posted: 29 May 2013 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Wow!  We have more of the politcial powers in town choosing who they want to be successful.  We handed one businessman something on the order of $20 million in tax dollars.  Now he owns, or has interest in, at least 4 restaurants, a hotel, the large fitness centers, and has built the single largest home in the City of Manhattan complete with its own lake and dock… inside the City.  Now, before the ink is dry on the latest tax dollar give-away, the beneficiary purchases a closing restuarant.  Hand out millions and suddenly the recepients go on business buying sprees.

Posted: 29 May 2013 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
That was the same mural.  It was just an old wallpaper mural with lots of nicks and tears but I liked it.  I also liked the dark and the old booths.  There used to be a very large booth right under the mural and a lot of my debaters and I would sit there and have dinner.  Belly Bombs, usually.  They were huge and with fries.  Later, the fries were extra and the burger not so large. I liked that old bar as well and was sorry to see it go.  I never knew why anyone would eat at the Texas Star. It was terrible…well, not really terrible, just tasteless.  The taco salad wasn’t too bad.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.