I wish you all a happy hamburger/hot dog holiday
Posted: 27 May 2013 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Like the grocery stores, I classify all holidays by food.  We have two turkey holidays, one ham holiday, one corned beef and cabbage holiday(even though the Irish don’t eat corned beef and cabbage); the rest are hamburger/hot dog holidays.  This is one of those.
I know…it is supposed to be a solemn tribute to those in uniform but it is really all about grilling. We already have a holiday to celebrate veterans…which is also done with hamburgers/hot dogs. I think it is in November, and of course, the fourth of July which is also celebrated with hamburgers and hot dogs. I am making coney islands today…real ones…with one slight change. In addition to the hot dog, chili, cheese and onions, I top it with Mary Matheny’s secret ingredient…cole slaw.  Nathans also served them that way. Try it, but have plenty of napkins handy and a large plate.  Half will end up on the plate, or your face.
Did you know that coney islands were not invented at Coney Island, NY, but rather, in Detroit?

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.