Pizza Ranch??
Posted: 24 May 2013 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Heard there’s a Pizza Ranch going in out near Menards.  Never been to one, but have heard good things.  Spent that winter in Pierre, South Dakota and there was a Pizza Ranch on the north end of town.  The parking lot was packed from about 4 in the afternoon until waaayy past my bedtime.  Didn’t ever have the patience to wait in line to eat by myself.  The natives all talked about it being one of their favorite eating establishments.

Manhattan has such a shortage of dining establishments…..............

Posted: 25 May 2013 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

And a particularly severe dining shortage when it comes to pizza…

Posted: 25 May 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

You are so right Debbie.  You just can’t find pizza places in Manhattan unless you are drunk and blindfolded.

Posted: 25 May 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I suspect a Wendys would have been exciting in Pierre.

Posted: 25 May 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Pretty laid back, boring existence up there.  Second lowest populated State Capitol in the U.S., with 13,000 residents.  One of only 5 State Capitols that is not served by an Interstate highway.  It’s 45 minutes north of I-90.  The first few nights, there, I heard this annoying siren at 10 p.m.  Thought it must be a shift change at some manufacturing plant.  When I asked, found it signals curfew for teens. If you’re under 18 and hear the horn, you better be home.  Large locally owned store downtown has one of the largest inventories of firearms and ammunition I’ve seen on their lower floor, actually a basement.  The main floor of the store is a liquor store.  Buy ammo downstairs.  Come up to the main floor to exit to the street.  Stop and purchase a few bottles of hooch to keep you company as you go fire off the ammo.  Friendly people.  A good experience, but after wintering there I see why the government gave most of South Dakota back to the Native Americans.

Posted: 25 May 2013 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I have little use for the Dakotas in winter.  I drove to Vermillion once when I was young to interview at the USD.  I drove through blinding snow most of the way, but I was young and had a new car and no fear.  I got in about 8PM and there was a note on the guy’s door to meet them at the bowling alley.  That was my first interview with the department. They had a team in a league.  The more formal one came the next day…also snowing ...we are talking blizzard here.  It was February.  I spent two days…still snowing.  They offered me a job and I turned them down.  Even as a yout, I never liked cold and snow.
I did visit a friend in Fargo/Moorehead…North Dakota and Minnesota.  It was, however, in the summer…July…and it was nice, but still cold after the sun went down. He had a cabin at Detroit Lakes…Lovely…in the daytime. Fargo has some great restaurants/bars…ditto for Moorehead…but I could never live in that God-Forsaken ice land.
When I was in Vermillion, I asked to see some large older houses.  They took me to an old frat house…umpteen-jillion square feet…$6,ooo…That was tempting, but at the time, that would have been my first year’s salary….not counting the utility bills.

Posted: 25 May 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Met my wife in 1965.  She had lots of relatives living just west of Minneapolis/St. Paul.  Early in our marriage, I thought, “What a great place to retire!”  Snowmobiling, ice fishing, hunting… the retirement dream of every young country kid.  Then, I began to age.  Now, I want nothing to do with the cold North.  I see why half of Minnesota’s population goes south for the winter.  In the summers, mosquitos big enough it’s difficult to differentiate them from grasshoppers.  Winter blizzards where you can be snowed in for weeks. 

South Dakota had some really nice, friendly people.  Few people and lots of distance between anything.  Pierre high school has regular football and basketball games with towns that are 3 and 4 hour drives away.  There’s nothing closer, except deer and pheasants… and run down shacks on the reservations.  It’s not unusual for the school kids to stay over in motels after games, returning to their schools the following day, due to the distance.  Pierre does have a WalMart.  They also have an airport.  Took me right at 9 hours to drive from Manhattan to Pierre.  I looked at flying.  Almost twice as long to fly from Pierre to Manhattan.  The only flights out of Pierre go to Denver.  In Denver, you had to catch a flight to DFW.  (That was before the current flights to O’Hare.)  Then, from DFW to Manhattan.  Depending on connection, 18 to 24 hours to fly and I think you could fly to Europe from Manhattan cheaper.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.