Trying to interpret the electric bill
Posted: 17 May 2013 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Just got my monthly bill from Westar.  Energy charge…$54.48….but wait…“customer charge” (what is that?)...$9….it gets better…“fuel charge” (what fuel?)...$18.45…transmission charge…$9.32…????...Environmental charge…$1.11 and energy efficiency charge…fifty-one cents.  With the franchise fee and sales tax we end up with a bill of $98.07….
What sort of bull hockey is this? I am convinced that a generator might be cheaper…Oh wait…gasoline is now up to $4 per gallon.  As my daddy used to say…“You can’t win for losin’”

Posted: 18 May 2013 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Westar is an inefficient, large corporation, overstaffed with overpaid and over-coddled employees/execs.  And, as long as they have the monopoly on the delivery of electricity we will pay the piper.  The cozy relationship between Westar execs and lobbyists with State congressmen is pathetic. 

The City of Manhattan had a long overdue discussion on water rates in the recent past.  That discussion publicized the inequities in our water rates and went a long way to assist the citizens of our community.  The State legislature does not have the spine to perform the same exhaustive review of Westar and their rape of the citizenry.  It’s much easier to cut funds for educating our children than to buck the powers that be at Westar.

Posted: 18 May 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

You know, Larry, the telephone company did the same thing with me.  “Charge…$11” No explanation. “fee…$12” again no explanation…I was paying $40 a month and never used long distance. That was twenty years ago….In Stacia world that would be $150 now.  I cancelled the telephone in 1996…never had one since.  Don’t miss it at all.  One of my friends told me that if I had a telephone it would be more convenient. For who? Not me.
Sadly, I do need electricity, so I must bow to Westar.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.