Swimming pool hours shortened??
Posted: 17 May 2013 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Sounds like the swimming pool hours have been shortened for 2013.  CiCo Pool is only to be open until 6 p.m.  Many folks are barely home from work by then.  Will these shortened hours have a negative effect on revenue?  I do believe the rates were raised for 2013 over 2012.  Higher costs and less hours to swim???

It also appears the pools still plan to close in early August.  Repeatedly, we’ve heard the City Commission suggest the pools need to be open longer.  The recently departed P&R Director promised The Marlins would assist with life-guard duties as payment in kind so the pools could stay open later into August.  Evidently that didn’t happen.

Interesting that some of the monied of the community want the taxpayers to spring for a multi-million dollar recreational facility for their kids to use.  We can’t even staff local swimming pools.  The “Fieldhouse” project proposes to be there for area youth from JC, Wamego, etc.  I don’t believe a significant number of these “important” folk will volunteer time to staff such a facility.  Would they suggest just closing down the local swimming pools so those staff people could operate the new facility?? 

We build it.  We promise the facilities will be self-supporting and not be a drain on the citizens at large.  Then we raise fees and cut hours so when utilization drops the Parks & Rec can demand more money for staffing… at taxpayer expense.  So, let’s build an even bigger boondoggle that will cater to the elite so we can open another “black hole” to dump tax dollars into.

I only hope the search for a new Parks & Rec Director brings someone to Manhattan with some common sense relative to efficiencies of operations… not someone who believes ALL taxpayers should fund the extravagances of a few “special” people.

Posted: 19 May 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
No point in swimming after six.  You can’t get a tan that way, and what other purpose is there in swimming other than to cool off while you are tanning.  Personally, I go to the old beach at Garrison.  It is open 24 hrs a day and you can camp for free.  Back when, I used to spend every day out there.  There are some bible thumpers who also camp out there, but you can generally avoid them.  In the olden days, there were trees everywhere so if you needed to get out of the sun, you could.  Not so after the great floods. No trees left…at least ones with leaves. Too bad. We used to spend weeks out there camping out.
Oh, not to worry about the super-pool.  They tried to pull this scam once, and it didn’t work.  It won’t fly this time either.

Posted: 19 May 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Sorta like the senior citizen who went to the swimming pool.  Said he got so tired of the lifeguard shouting at him to quit peeing in the pool… he might actually have to get in the water.  :>)

‹‹ Poor, poor KSU profs      "Eat More Chikin" ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.