Poor, poor KSU profs
Posted: 17 May 2013 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Shameful…they only make eighty grand to work six hours or so a week.  That is terrible.  I took my first teaching job at $6,000 a year and thought I was rich…a college prof and making six grand. Then I came to KSU and made $22,000…in one year!
I have often criticized the salary paid to Snyder, but, I guess if you divide it into actual working hours…and he works about 18 hrs per day…faculty make more hourly.

Posted: 17 May 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Just because you only worked six hours a week doesn’t mean most professors do.

By the way, $22K in 1978 is roughly equal to $80K now. You might want to look up the word “inflation.” Also, the average salary for professors in the U.S. is just under $100K per year, so $80K is pretty low. You might want to look up these things called “statistics.”

Posted: 17 May 2013 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
I wasn’t one of the lucky ones.  I was a debate coach.  I worked 24 hrs four days a week, along with teaching for 12. I was on the road every weekend…Thursday through Sunday. It wasn’t until I went to work for the navy that I got the plum deal that most of these profs enjoy. Play with your staciaistics all you want…and have a nice evening.

Posted: 18 May 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I was just wondering.  Does that 80 grand include rental earnings.  It has been a time-honored tradition for KSU profs to also be slum lords.  Some even went so far as to furnish their apartments via state surplus.  One of those distinguished profs even has a building named after him…

Posted: 18 May 2013 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I know it’s a time-honored tradition for you to filter absolutely everything through your own tiny, unexceptional experiences, but it’s pretty damn tiresome from where the rest of us are sitting. All you do is grouse that other people have it “too good” even when that’s not the case, it’s just a method for you to air your perpetual resentment out in public. If anyone dares try to remind you that other people exist, or suggest that your claims (often based on something you half remember from 1972) are false, you get pissy about it. Take this for example: Because you were reminded by me that there is such a thing as inflation, you’ve been all over this board on threads I never participated in, whining about what I said. You also whine that no one wants to post here. Gee, I wonder why.

Posted: 19 May 2013 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Why Stacia…does this mean we are no longer friends?
While we are dealing in facts…I didn’t even arrive in Manhattan until 1975.
As for me causing the demise of the forum…I don’t think so.  I was active on the old forum, and, in fact, the most read, except for a couple of weeks when CS decided to inflate his own numbers. That forum had lots of folks reading and participating.  This one is dead through no fault of mine. If people don’t like what I have to say, they don’t have to read…but, they are reading, if not responding. Including you apparently.
Oh…“all over this board whining” about you.  I mentioned your name in one thread. You call that “all over the board”? Which of us has the most vivid imagination?...I wonder.

Posted: 20 May 2013 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

This is a board that has on a good day two active threads. You complained about what I said in the only two active threads on the board, which I think does qualify as a bit much. Sure, I concede your point that it could have been worse. Should I thank you for not starting a third thread to whine about the existence of statistics?

And no, I was not blaming you personally for the demise of the forums. What has always been a problem here is that there are a significant segment of the posters who think personal opinion equals or outweighs actual facts. You bring up facts, you hurt feelings. In the last few months there have been multiple discussions where someone (and I’m not referring to just myself) has listed demonstrable facts, only to be met with nasty personal implications or even ad hominem attacks. Or ignored, that’s always an option. On the prior forums, people felt free enough to retaliate—of course, they were often blamed as being the real troublemakers, so it’s no wonder they don’t want to get into that kind of discussion under their real names.

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
I agree with most of what you said.  Not to put words in your mouth, but it seems you agree with me that the response problem may be the real name issue.  I personally believe it is.  However, there seem to be a lot of readers…over 250 on this thread which belongs to you and I apparently.  I’ll grant you half….:-)
My comments about statistics were made in jest, not to deny their existence. However, they are boring, and people would rather read a polemic than a list of numbers. I try to stimulate discussion, and welcome anyone who can deny what I say.
People are reading the forum which may save it.
My comments about faculty and slum-lording are based on personal knowledge. I could name names…the facts that you want…but I won’t.  As long as you have been here, I am certain that you know the names already.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.