Dollars Trump Lives in Manhattan!!??
Posted: 15 May 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

So, some of our local elected officials feel it better to risk the lives or our Emergency Responders rather than adopt the most current Fire Code?  They feel our home builders wouldn’t be able to compete with other communities that do not comply with similar fire codes?  Some of our local elected officials, evidently, feel it far better to risk the lives and health or our citizens than to adopt the latest Fire Codes?  The feel that fire codes are over-reach of “big gubmint” and homeowners should be responsible to know if they are purchasing a fire trap or not?  We sure don’t want them thar librals bringin’ their gubmint policies to Manhattan!!!!  Sheesh!  Politics over personal protection!  Thank goodness for a few sane commissioners.

Posted: 15 May 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

I just saw my title to this thread.  Almost sounds like “Donald Trump lives in Manhattan”.  I guess I shouldn’t have capitalized so many words in the title and written it, “Dollars trump lives in Manhattan”.  Oh well, Michael says nobody pays any attention to this board.

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-10-11

I saw Trump and thought you meant the Donald so I’m sure the few others that just browse will do the same.

I read the headline the mercury gives the free users and was hoping someone would start a thread on why it didn’t pass.  Sad day when fire codes are associated with big government but no one should be surprised.

Posted: 17 May 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Another one of those quirky little English language anomalies.
Now, as to substance; Do you really want to force the builders of these cracker box homes to make them substantial?  That costs money.  Now, it makes more sense to have the cheapo houses built on a slab…no basement at all.  I owned a house like that in Oklahoma…there they refer to them as “Indian Housing”.  Luckily for me, it did burn and I replaced it with a house of my own design…still, I stayed with the slab. In my mind, a basement is for growing mold and holding excess water…useless.
I have a “basement”...cellar? under my current house which is 130 years old.  I last went down there about five years ago.  It looks something like an Edgar Allan Poe novel.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.