1 2 > 
1 of 2
Political fisticuffs… 11th & Poyntz… Tonight!!!!!
Posted: 07 May 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, the political wrangling will get off to a good start tonight.  The new mayor has made no bones about his far right political leanings.  Matta and Butler have been the most outspoken on looking at reducing the City’s support of social service organizations.  OTOH, the two newly elected commissioners lean hard left.  They both were proponents of the recent petition drive which wanted a set percent of tax dollars dedicated to social services each year.  So…

Tonight the Mayor will recommend appointment of two staunch conservatives to the Social Services Advisory Board.  One of these candidates ran, unsuccessfully, for State office.  The other was just defeated as a hard right candidate for City Commission.  Both had the backing of the far right in their bids for office.  Both would be expected to take a “Brownbackistan” type approach to social services in Manhattan.

I can’t remember the last time a mayoral appointment was challenged.  I just cannot see the two left leaning commissioners allowing these two hard conservatives to be appointed to the SSAB without opposition.  And, I see Mattan/Butler championing the appointments.  Jankovich will undoubtedly be the swing vote.

The Mayor’s appointments come up early in the meeting.  We may see the marquee match of this WWE exhibition before bedtime!!!!!

Posted: 07 May 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

another interesting topic will be next to the last agenda item, roundabout art.  i personally favor what came from arts committee, a kaw chief with peace pipe in-hand sculpture.  but i’ll bet there’s resistance for differing reasons, not the least of which and key vote(s) is candidate political funding sources.  we’ll see.

Posted: 07 May 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Bob, evidently, you didn’t see my thread re the “art”.  Personally, I don’t like the idea of the Peyote bong the Native American is offering to college students and other visitors.  But…  we’ll see if there is any discussion.  I thought the funding was taken care of.  Didn’t the previous commisson approve the expediture of $25,000, with the balance to be private funding?

Posted: 07 May 2013 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

there’s an effort to make it about local blue bloods rather than our kaw heritage.  those funding the candidates are also backing the blues.  teehee or tepee?  it’s where we get commissioners need to listen rationale. 

and yes, the earlier commission said it would give $20k to a worthy project.  the kaw bronze is $62k.

Posted: 08 May 2013 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

If they decide on the smoking Indian, then, will we be able to smoke on the roundabout?...Assuming, of course, that we could reach it on foot.  Pretty hazardous venture.

Posted: 08 May 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

well, the kaw chief proposal seems to be moving forward. and i’m glad.  i feared the worst.  finally, the empty pedestal will have a worthwhile art piece that speaks to the area’s heritage.  and, he’ll be able to jump off there and run over to the brand new ronnie mac’s for breakfast should he choose.  the big mac will be built on the northeast corner of the roundabout.  but he’ll have to leave his pipe unlit, yes michael. 

btw, thankfully, there was no quibbling over the mayor’s appointments.

Posted: 08 May 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I cannot fathom why anyone would allow a highly traveled business adjacent to a roundabout.  Seems to me like it is inviting accidents, and traffic jams.

Posted: 08 May 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

it shows that private development is still possible, just like the aggieville hotel.  there are two arguments here.  one is that this would never have happened without the north end redevelopment project.  the other is that the city made a good decision not moving forward with the mccall road extension/condemnation project, i.e. let it happen privately.  this is the first step in the private process, mcdonald’s.

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

It also shows that private development ignores traffic situations.  The new hotel is situated at a very dangerous corner, and will add traffic to that corner…both car and foot traffic.
Mark my words…this hotel will be the source of accidents.  Never mind, I know everyone thinks it is a great idea. Who am I to question progress?

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

the mcdonald’s will result in changed driving patterns and roadway expansions serving the property.  as for the hotel, i’m not sure a property like that generates enough traffic to be a major concern.  i believe the road serving the hotel will be north manhattan not bluemont.

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

And how does an outsider access Manhattan Avenue, except via Bluemont? Come on…you can’t have it both ways.  Either people will flock there…causing traffic problems, or no one will stay there, in which case, why build it?

Posted: 08 May 2013 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

i’m not sure we should expect flocking to the bluemont hotel except perhaps by jayhawks, if they ever master the game of modern football.

Posted: 09 May 2013 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I was extremely please to see… to NOT see significant ‘wrangling’ over the Mayor’s appointments.  Hopefully, that is an indication that this commission will work together for the good of the community.  There are some issues still to be brought forward that could allow much less boring viewing on a Tuesday evening.

As to Michael’s concerns about the attention the discussion board seems to be generating, I did have some behind-the-scenes feedback concerning this thread.  I intimated, in my original post, that the two appointees would side with the Mayor against social service funding.  As to Lee’s appointment, Lee has been an advocate of funding social service programs.  In fact, Lee has taken exception to the conservative side of the commission’s statements suggesting cutting social service funding.  Lee leans right, but understands moving funds from assisting the less fortunate to other special interest projects would be a mistake.  A person down on their luck doesn’t care how many new commerical enterprises he drives by to get food for his family.

The new Bluemont Hotel….  The traffic in that area is obscene.  I do believe there is a project underway which, if funded, could relieve some of the problems.  Personally, I could see more problems from inebriated pedestrians heading back to their hotel rooms from the bars than from vehicular traffic.  Hopefully, on Faux Patty’s Day, we don’t have some auto/pedestrian incidents.

Posted: 09 May 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

it’s customary in politics to assume people might act in ways that are different than what actually is the case in reality.  what’s troubling is when the (presumed) assumption is a known to be false before the fact, which was not the case here. 

obscene traffic in manhattan, ks.  you folk don’t get out much, huh larry?

Posted: 09 May 2013 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Bob, I’ve commented oft times on this discussion board about Manhattan traffic.  I drive over 30,000 miles/year in metro-plexes and in rural areas.  There is NO place worse to drive than Manhattan.  Give me stand-still Kansas City rush hour over Manhattan.  Give me McWhennyville, Kansas where farmers pull out in front of you over Manhattan.  Give me Yoder, Kansas where you have to wait on the occasional Amish horse drawn carriage over Manhattan.  This place is a zoo!!!!!!

Posted: 09 May 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

um, give me manhattan - its splendid new bluemont hotel, 21st century traffic circle, historic kaw chief sculpture and ronnie mac too.  :-)

you want traffic, try 50 miles in san francisco bay area during drive time.  i did that golden gate gig for three miserable years.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.