Thursday through Monday
Posted: 06 May 2013 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

and no posts on this forum. I find that sad. Have you all left for facebook?

Posted: 06 May 2013 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, Michael… what do you want us to talk about?  Let’s see…

Can’t badmouth The Mercury or Ned gets mad. 

The City just experienced a huge loss with Ms. Palmer going to Parkville.  IMHO, she was the common sense quotient at City Hall.  Manhattan’s loss is Parkville’s gain!!

Still can’t find out the scuttlebutt re Loupe’s resignation.  I’m not buying the “only promised 5 years and he gave us 6” b.s.  That isn’t reason to put a department head on administrative leave.

Who left the firearm in Sunset Cemetary?  Was it connected to any other crime in Manhattan?

Difficult to keep dandelions out of your yard when the vacant lots south of you look like dandelioin farms.

Golf weather, this past weekend, was “interesting”.  Gear and self both pretty wet and cold by the time we finished 18 on Saturday and Sunday.  It’s hard work, but someone has to do it!  If you ain’t man enough to play in those conditions… if you are a ‘fair-weather’ golfer… don’t plug up the courses with your slow play during the nice weather!!!

King Brownback thinks he is exempt from any federal regulations he chooses not to abide by.  Spend more and more taxpayer dollars defending stupid anti-Washington legilsation, while cutting more and more education funding.  Nice work, Brownie!!

No cemetary wants the body of the alleged Boston Marathon bomber.  Too bad we can’t just toss him into a swine confinement complex and let the hogs eat him.  Blast that on YouTube and see if it gets any reaction from the Islamic fundamentalists.

Afghanistan and Pakistan arguing.  Bring out troops home and let those two wastelands duke it out!

What’s so bad about horse meat?  People in our own Country are starving and we won’t allow horsemeat to be sold?  We used to eat an ENTIRE steer… heart, tongue, and my Mother made the best “beef brains and eggs”.  We’re a spoiled generation.

And, NO!  I have not “left for facebook”!  I do check it a couple times/day, but don’t spend any time there.

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, Larry,
I don’t know what we could talk about to elicit responses.  I tried taking Bill Snyder’s and Angel Rodriguez’s names in vain.  That garnered a total of two responses, where in the old forum I would have been attacked by at least a hundred people. I am afraid this forum is pretty well done. That, I think, is the fault of The Mercury.  They set up restrictions for enrollment that, were to some people, unreasonable. I still think the real name requirement discouraged a lot of folks from posting, although it never mattered to me because I always used my real name.  Too bad.  This used to be an active forum for expression of ideas.  There was a lot of interaction.  Not so anymore.

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I’ve had more than one talk about the procedure for getting the “secret handshake” and be allowed to post.  If an issue or experience would generate a citizen to post, they have to go through all the craziness of having their name info verified.  By the time they would apply, get a call back, and be allowed to post… it could be days.  By then, the issue or thought is no longer.  And, yes, we did lose some of the rabble-rousers like CS, etc. 

As you say, the discussion board is probably dead.  Not too certain that wasn’t the destination The Mercury staff wanted.

Posted: 06 May 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, the few of us remaining could always get together for coffee…Wouldn’t have to be a large place. I am not happy that this forum is going south in a hurry, but, it seems there is nothing I can do to prevent that.

Posted: 06 May 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

I am not so sure the real name issue is the complete reason. I for one get tired of needing to be perfect with grammar and spelling in order to post without someone not addressing the comment and worried more about my use or lack thereof in the grammar spelling world.
There are a couple that post out here at times that I totally disagree with and could not care less about getting into a long drawn out discussion about how stupid I think they are for attempting to get into every ones pockets to pay for their free loading pet peeve projects to subsidize some lazy freeloading projects.
Then again as time passes some political views change yet everyone’s views are expected to remain the same. As for some of the discussions on religious driven topics maybe names do become an issue. After all every cult should be tax free when it comes to any and all assets. Your god knows we all want to subsidize your beliefs and not my own, kind of like forced taxation for other groups you want no part of.
So how’s that, will that stir the pot for ya?

Posted: 06 May 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Some will blame the demise on social media… Facebook, Twitter, etc.  I am a member of a number of on-line discussion boards.  Many of those will see dozens of people post daily.  One DB will see over 100 members post each day.  The post count for each day can run into the thousands.  It all has to do with the subject matter, the interest in that subject matter by the participants, and the moderators and how they monitor the posting.  This “old board” saw lots of discussion on many local matters.  I still believe threads on that board had an impact on votes at 11th & Poyntz.  That may well be one of the reasons it would appear an effort has been made to kill the board.

I still firmly believe there are citizens in Manhattan who would like to be heard.  A good on-line discussion board allows them to rant, vent, applaud… allows them to feel as if they can speak on an issue without retribution.  The ingenious idea to disallow posting anonymously stopped that.

Manhattan has some extremely critical political issues in front of it.  Escalating debt, a second run at LGBT, funding of a recreation complex for the elite, severe cutbacks in federal and state funding, defining economic development projects for funding by sales tax revenues… there will be some heated discussions.  I still think the commissioners would pay attention if they saw dozens of citizens posting pros and cons to an issue here on this discussion board.  However, those postings might go against the political leanings of The Mercury editorial staff… might alienate businesses who are advertising in The Mercury… or might be critical of the Chamber, who no media outliet has the spine to take to task. 

Is there any other internet discussion board that in existence that would allow citizens of Manhattan the opportunities we once enjoyed with the old Mercury board?

Posted: 06 May 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

The moral of that story is, there are too many different DB, MB, outlets and venues to be a part of tweet, FB or “stick-in-da’-Mud” and so on.  I tend to stay close with respect to DB and close to topics meaning Manhattan driven and owned by the local people or businesses. Maybe TWO different boards, one for real name use, the seconds for no back bone no named liars and story tellers, darn it sorry I mean posters. I can see both sides it becomes a matter of what kind of a board you desire. One with name calling and have truths or one with 10% of the input with straight out lies and name calling allowed? I can take both sides yet would like to confront a real person when it gets stupid. I would rather know who the 2 faced person is that hates me so I can stay way from them.

Posted: 06 May 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I don’t think we even had 100 people posting on the old forum. We’re missing about five or six people from the old forum that I recall, one more if you count Common Sense though I think he finally left for good, but we’ve gained two new people (at least I believe they’re new). I haven’t noticed much of a tone change, though there are less drive-by one-liners and no silly pictures posted.

Personally, I think a big part of the issue is that those who wanted a real-name-only forum thought it would create compliance and silence certain political viewpoints. They assumed people wouldn’t say certain things publicly. But they have, and I notice that when their opinions get to a certain level, they’re met with silence. A back-and-forth will go on for days until someone gets a little “too honest” and the thread ends—and it’s not always me that gets “too honest.” Everyone falls silent, maybe someone says “Well, we all have our own opinions…” and end of thread. This happens in real life in public so it makes sense it would happen on a real-name forum, too, but isn’t great for honest discussion.

And I notice a few of the same people who were praising the idea of real names last year have recently been complaining about it.

Posted: 06 May 2013 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
Don’t count me among those who advocated for real names.  I opposed the idea.  I think that there are some folks who feel more free to speak if they can remain anonymous.  Of course, the downside is that you end up with a lot of clutter and baseless insults.  I would, however, prefer that to silence.  I did note that the people reading has been fairly constant.  They are just not talking.

Posted: 06 May 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

No worries, Michael, I didn’t.

For the sports forum alone, discussion is much more lively when people can post anonymously. Bashing people over sports is part of the fun, and if you can’t say “You suck!” while posting under the name WildCat420WOOOO then what’s the point?

We get a LOT of viewers on this forum.  I discovered when searching for a cached version of the old forum on Google that people on Facebook often mention things posted over here, but you’re right, they never post.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.