< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
I see we are still an exclusive little club
Posted: 19 October 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Aargh!!!  What’s this???!!!???  Just in the past few minutes, it appears a couple of the “other” gender were allowed into the exclusive club!  Here we old geezers thought we had the door locked.  Don’t know why we ever gave ‘em the right to vote… and speak in public on a newspaper discussion board.  :>)

Welcome ladies!!!  Hopefully, the ladies on the board will keep us old goats in line.  “Banter”??  Surely you jest!  So far, everything posted has been dead serious!!

Posted: 19 October 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-10-19

In your geezer-ness, you seem to have forgotten that we are not the “other” gender, but rather the “fairer”. :-) I appreciate the welcome. A frequent viewer on the old board… Never posted there and probably won’t post too often here if it turns ugly. But who knows, maybe we will all be surprised at how a fresh forum will progress.

Posted: 19 October 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-10-18

I’m still waiting to see if the new forum decays into the old hopeless quagmire of smack-talk that the old one was.  I’ll stay around at least until I see whether or not that happens.

Posted: 20 October 2012 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Karla Hagemeister - 19 October 2012 08:39 PM

In your geezer-ness, you seem to have forgotten that we are not the “other” gender, but rather the “fairer”. :-) I appreciate the welcome. A frequent viewer on the old board… Never posted there and probably won’t post too often here if it turns ugly. But who knows, maybe we will all be surprised at how a fresh forum will progress.

“Fairer”...  Ummm, married to the same beautiful lady for over 46 years, daughters and granddaughters… I would argue, but I’m not allowed to speak!!! :>)

I would usually go off on a tangent of blonde jokes or some other ‘typical’ male rhetoric you might expect.  However, my heart was ripped out this week with the story of the 14 year old Pakastani girl.  All she wanted to do was to get an education. For that, a group of religious fanatics tried to assassinate her.  There’s a special place in Hell for someone who would put multiple bullets into a defenseless 14 year old girl in the name of their religion.  It sounds like she is slowly recovering, physically.  Doubtfull is any person, no matter how strong, would ever recover emotionally.

That’s why I get riled when people on a community discussion board resort to “internet fisticuffs”.  Elected officials… I’m sorry, but your decisions will be cussed and discussed.  That’s part of what you bargained for when you ran for office.  For a board poster to be upset over things that affect his/her quality of life, or affect their neighbors, or affect their family… vent here.  Just don’t resort to the juvenile name-calling. 

Sorry!  I can get a little long winded.  See above… the ladies at least “allow” me to type!!!  :>)

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-18
Larry Williams - 20 October 2012 05:06 AM

That’s why I get riled when people on a community discussion board resort to “internet fisticuffs”.  Elected officials… I’m sorry, but your decisions will be cussed and discussed.  That’s part of what you bargained for when you ran for office.  For a board poster to be upset over things that affect his/her quality of life, or affect their neighbors, or affect their family… vent here.  Just don’t resort to the juvenile name-calling.

To me, it’s a good thing if we can debate about issues, problems, ideas, proposed laws, etc. - even heatedly - and express any opinion about them, without resorting to, or having to tolerate personal attacks.  Examples of what I call “personal attacks”: name-calling, mocking, ridiculing, demonizing, accusing, threatening, or attempting to censor another person.  (And by the way, I do not equate moderation of troll behavior with “censorship”.)

I know some of you like to talk a little smack for fun, or just vent, and there are and should be places for that, but I hope we can also build a place for serious, productive discussion about issues in this community without having to wade through all the muck.

But it’s not my sandbox, I don’t make the rules here, I only know what I personally would like to see.  My own decision to stay involved or not will depend on what kind of culture develops here.

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-10-19

Larry- if you are the same Larry Williams I believe you are…your dedication to education is as long standing as your marriage. In talking with my husband last night, I told him that I remember you from a freshman class (early 90’s) for a very encouraging letter sent at the end of the semester. It shocked me to receive any recognition from an instructor and although I never took another class in that department (outside my field of study), someone by your name forever sealed a place in my memory as a great guy.

Posted: 20 October 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

nice to see the club expanding.

Posted: 20 October 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, Jr., the club is expanding and with it comes all the harsh realities of diversity.  I guess we will have to put out the cigars, and put the Brandy away until after lunch.

Posted: 20 October 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Karla Hagemeister - 20 October 2012 07:55 AM

Larry- if you are the same Larry Williams I believe you are…your dedication to education is as long standing as your marriage. In talking with my husband last night, I told him that I remember you from a freshman class (early 90’s) for a very encouraging letter sent at the end of the semester. It shocked me to receive any recognition from an instructor and although I never took another class in that department (outside my field of study), someone by your name forever sealed a place in my memory as a great guy.

Sorry, Karla… Wrong one!  There are at least 3 of us in town.  Pretty common name.  So glad you had a good experience with “the other one”!  Better you think well of me due to earlier interaction with a namesake than to have you immediately form a negative opinion.  At my age, I’m past attempting to fill the shoes of peers.  However, I will do my best to earn your respect on this discussion board.

Posted: 20 October 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-18
Michael Hadley - 20 October 2012 09:09 AM

Well, Jr., the club is expanding and with it comes all the harsh realities of diversity.  I guess we will have to put out the cigars, and put the Brandy away until after lunch.

Meh - not on my account.  What Ned has in mind for this forum and what I would like to see may be two totally different things.  If you’ve got nothing better to do with your time than sit around bashing each other all day long, have at it.  We all have the choice to go elsewhere if we don’t like how people behave here.

Posted: 20 October 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Kate…How did you know my middle initial?  Just curious.

Posted: 20 October 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-18

Haha!  I don’t.  Or I didn’t until 1:02pm today.

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Kate….OK, I promise…no Brandy until after noon…..:-)

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Shucks!  Now I see we are all have been promoted to “Member”.  No more “Newbie”.... No more “Jr.”.  Jelani took away my out-ranking of all you ne’er do wells.  I am hurt!  I am embarrassed!  I’m no longer the “Grand Pooba”.  Sheesh!  My weekend is toast…...  Hadley!  Is this the end result of your complaining to ‘management’ because of my dislike of cats????????

Posted: 21 October 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I doubt if my complaining had anything to do with your loss of title.  I did , however, inform the management that the terms “newbie” and” Jr.” were demeaning and that we all should be treated with some respect.

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3

‹‹ Ball’s Lunch      What happened? Tea Party? ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.