This doctor news story baffles me
Posted: 25 April 2013 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

So this doctor was indicted for unlawfully prescribing drugs.  Well, so far so good.  Then I read on in the story that he never wrote any of these prescriptions.  He was, in fact, out of the country while assistants forged his signature.  I do understand the concept of being responsible for the actions of your help, but are those who actually wrote the prescriptions and forged a signature to be held harmless in this affair?

Posted: 25 April 2013 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

They probably didn’t forge the signatures. Doctors can allow others (nurse practitioners and physician’s assistants, if I recall) to write prescriptions for them by using a pre-signed script pad. You can’t do that with narcotics or controlled prescription drugs, though. Apparently I can’t link to other news websites (I get a “blacklist” error) but the Kansas First News page says office workers were “using Schuster’s signature on prescriptions”. It also goes on to say “several” Ft Riley soldiers and family members who died of overdoses were his patients, and the Kansas City Star article says his prescription-writing habits were made known when some of the drugs he prescribed ended up on the street. The second article is well worth the read, you might want to look it up.

‹‹ Question of ethics...      Brownbackistan.... ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.