High School Reunions
Posted: 24 April 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Right now I am grappling with an impending high school reunion.  I have been bombarded with letters and e-mails from people I haven’t seen or heard from in five decades, telling me how much they are looking forward to seeing me at the reunion.  While these letters are touching, I wonder why, if I was so important to them, they haven’t bothered to contact me in fifty years. I wouldn’t mind seeing some of them but the idea of an 8PM banquet in the old high school gym with cocktails following at the CO-OP, doesn’t have a great deal of appeal.
Perhaps the enthusiasm about this reunion is the fact that they realize it will probably be the last time most of them will get together.  I find that depressing.  How do you gracefully say goodbye at the end of it when you know it probably REALLY is goodbye? Reminds me of when my father was dying and I had to leave.  What do you say?...“Hey, see you later”????
I suppose my only compensation would be that I am the youngest…by a year. I could gloat about that, although, at this stage, one year hardly makes a difference.  My mother used her influence as a teacher to get me into the first grade when I was just five.  I was barely 17 when I entered college, so I am one of the youngest there as well. I still haven’t decided whether to attend or not.  Any of you other elder statesmen run into this problem?

Posted: 24 April 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  799
Joined  2012-10-10

My 50th coming up next year, Spring of 2014.  Will have that same decision as to whether or not to participate in whatever is arranged.  We had one of the largest graduating classes, at that time… 22 kids.  A couple of them have passed.  Haven’t kept close track of many.  Could probably pass most on the street and never recognize them.  On one hand, it might be good to attend and see how much older they all look than I believe I do.  :>)  But, like you say, haven’t seen them in 50 years and probably won’t see them again.  If you are going to take the time to attend such an event, would you be better off spending that time with family or friends who you know and enjoy?  It’s heck to get old… but the alternative….......

Posted: 25 April 2013 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Boy, I thought my graduating class was small at 64.  Most are still around. Mostly farmers.  The only two I know are dead, died forty years ago in farming accidents.  They did tell me that the home room monitor died a few years ago.  She had dementia.  I could have told them that fifty years ago. I would have been class Valedictorian if I had had better grades. I can only imagine what a “banquet” in the high school gym might consist of.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.