Anyone remember “The Greatest Story Ever Told”  ???
Posted: 21 April 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I picked up a copy of this movie at a yard sale yesterday and decided to watch it again.  The last time I saw it was as a teenager, on the big screen.  It is a three and one-half hour Jesus epic with Max Von Sydow and every other Hollywood star at the time.  While I certainly would not claim to possess the wit and incisiveness of the the Mercury’s “Art Critic”, I think it is fair to say that this movie, if not the worst movie ever made, certainly ranks among the top five. Simply put, it is awful. Even good actors stoop to new lows.  The movie is so bad it is funny. I think the high point of the movie is John Wayne’s cameo appearance as the Centurion at the cross.  He has one line…“Aaaaaw, this truly was the son of God.” And, of course, you have Pat Boone as the angel at the tomb…hahaha.
If you can find a copy of this turkey, watch it for the laughs.  Funnier by far than Animal House.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.