Bill Snyder…hypocrite of the first order!
Posted: 19 April 2013 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

There was an article in yesterday’s paper in which Bill Snyder decried the state of college football.  He said it was money driven, and TV driven, and that “we have athletic programs or football programs to mean more to a university than what the university is really supposed to be about.” WOW!  That is so true.  The man is truly a genius to figure that out…a genius who will, in the next five years make $14,75 million.
It gets better…then he admits he is grossly overpaid.  That is very true…again, he is a genius.
Now Bill, here’s the thing…if you are so morally outraged, why not donate most of your “overpaid” salary to some academic programs? Lamentation is fine, but actions do speak louder than words.
Why don’t you put your money where your mouth is?....Geez.

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-10-28

Posted: 28 April 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
Thanks for responding.  I was deliberately attempting to overstate my point, just to see if I could elicit some response on this dead sports forum…I was unsuccessful.  If you can’t insult Snyder and elicit 100 responses, then the forum is dead.
I will stick by the essence of what I said.  It is hypocritical to chastise a system of which you are an integral part. That was my point. You can’t stand there and say that college football is “money driven” when you are making a cool three million a year engaged in that pursuit.  You can’t say that it gets away from the university’s mission when you are making ten times what the average professor makes.
I know you are an uber fan, but it is only football.  I would level the same accusations at Weber.  These people are overpaid.  That is not their fault.  It is the fault of the university system which prizes athletic achievement over academic achievement.  My gripe with Snyder is that he admitted all this and yet continues to hold the high moral ground…as if he were not a part of it.  He is.
By the way, I got your post but it isn’t showing here.  You might want to try re-posting it.
Michael

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

I posted that more or less for your eyes only, it was just antagonistic enough that I didn’t want to be perceived as being an argumentative jerk.  I do apologize for the harshness of its tone, however if I were sitting across a table from you sharing a beer I would have pretty much said the same thing, and hope you would not perceive it as mean spirited.

I get it but I think you are wrong insofar as calling Snyder a hypocrite.

You state:  It is hypocritical to chastise a system of which you are an integral part.

WE THE PEOPLE of the United States of America are an integral part of our society and our government.  Is it then hypocritical, of us as individuals, to criticize our society and government?

As far as high moral ground… I doubt you can find a D1/FBS coach with higher moral character.  In 2003 when Roberson stepped into it in Scottsdale, Coach Snyder held him out of the first half of the Fiesta Bowl.  Nick Saba, Urban Meyer or Jim Tressel would have probably started him and won the game.

Bryce Brown, good enough to play for the Philadelphia Eagles, NOT good enough (personal development) to play for Coach Snyder.

You and I will probably just not see eye to eye on this hypocrite deal, but I doubt there is no one more ethical or of higher moral character coaching in College Football, and for Snyder to say that he is grossly overpaid for what he does is a refreshing bit of truth that you aren’t going to here from anyone else in a D1/FBS Coaching position.

I also get your point about Million$$ being spent on his salary as opposed to funding Academic or other programs within the University.  My counterpoint to that is…can you tell me how much the university has benefited financially (outside the athletic department) over Coach Snyder’s career at K State?  My guess is, that it is more than his annual salary, no matter how large that might be.

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
No need to apologize.  I am a jerk at times.  Next time you are in the neighborhood, we can have a few beers and get into fisticuffs over Snyder.  We can, at least, enjoy the beers….:-) By the way, he should have suspended Roberson for the entire game…if he is really the saint you claim he is.  Why only one half?  Did Roberson do a half a rape?

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

You really like to try to put words in other peoples mouths and attribute to them things that they did not say don’t you?

Never said Snyder was a saint and quite frankly I wouldn’t level that insult on my worst enemy. I personally would rather laugh with teh sinners than cry with the saints, the sinner are much more fun.

Roberson was suspended first half of the Fiesta Bowl for violating team rules (not sure but I think it was a curfew violation)

And while there was an allegation of rape, the Maricopa County Attorney,  declined to prosecute, with the official position of the DA being “There was no way Roberson could have known that the woman in question did not consent”  make of that what you will but the Maricopa County Attorney who pulls no punches didn’t believe it to be sexual assault.

Probably only one half because (I’m guessing) Snyder felt the entire team was being punished unfairly for the bad decisions of Roberson, having made the point, put him in the second half and they damn near won anyhow.  Snyder subsequently terminated Roberson’s scholarship.

The Roberson 2nd half does however bring us to one of the evils of D1/FBS Football.  You can’t allow one individual or group of individuals to be above the law, team rules, school policy etc…Thats what got Penn State in the deep.  While Roberson’s Fiesta Bowl 2nd half does not rise to the mischiva of Penn State is certainly shows the tendency to let strict punishments slide in order to benefit the team/school.

I’ll tell you one thing, if K State ever finds a Jerry Sandusky in the cupboards of the athletic department, you won’t find me standing between the athletic department and the mob bearing torches…

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
Fundamentally I don’t think we are that far apart in our views of D1 football.
I love that quote from the DA. “There is no way Roberson could have known that the woman in question did not consent.”  That is one of the most vague and ambiguous sentences I have ever read. I have a lot of friends who specialize in language.  They were equally perplexed at the time.  The only conclusion we could reach is that the woman was unconscious.  If she was awake, he would surely know if she consented or not. A slap in the face, for example, or a knee to the groin, would indicate a lack of consent.  I am not passing judgment on Roberson.  Obviously I don’t know what happened…But that statement was just plain STUPID. Further, it left the impression that, indeed, something happened of a sexual nature.  All stale water under the bridge now.
The point is that D1 sports need to be policed…and I believe that is happening to a certain degree.
I will agree that Snyder would never permit a Sandusky-type affair to have happened.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.