the mercury comes out tonight with strong editorial support ...
Posted: 18 April 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

for city/county consolidation study based around mayor matta’s tuesday acceptance speech.  this is helpful to those of us who believe it’s time has come.  catch the piece in thursday, april 18th merc.

Posted: 19 April 2013 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I think we should merge with Junction City and Pott County and Geary County…..we could rule the world!....if Westmoreland goes along…..

Posted: 19 April 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

county consolidation makes even more sense for kansas.  i once asked brownback about it.  he just looked at me like i was nutso.

Posted: 19 April 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

If Brownback thinks you are nutso…you could have no higher compliment…hahaha

Posted: 19 April 2013 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

well, the majority of voters around here agreed with him.  ha.

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Yet another compliment.  Do you not handle compliments well? I would consider being rejected by the nitwit voters in Manhattan a serious endorsement of my sanity.  If I were to run and be elected, I would seek help.

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

you make me smile, my friend.  time to gather a group coffee?

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Any time…you call it…can’t be tomorrow because I am headed for the city-wide garage sales in Miltonvale….other than that, my calendar is clear.

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2012-10-10

Significant tax dollars could be saved if we dropped from 105 counties to, say, 50.  Likewise, much could be saved if we were to consolidate the many school districts.  Probably won’t happen.  Why?

Each county seat employees dozens of fairly high-paid individuals.  Which county will give up their county seat… and the jobs… to see a neighboring county come out as the “winner”.  There is significant political power with local school districts.  Let’s just say, for example, that Rock Creek were to be consolidated with Wamego.  Which district ends up with the administrative staff and which loses theirs?  Alumni of these schools will not want their district to suddenly become part of those who were competed against in sports and scholastic competitions. 

A number of counties, Riley included, pay substantial wages to their County Commissioners.  OTOH, most municipalities don’t pay much to their elected officials.  Will Riley County Commissioners give up their pay and allow a professional administrator perform many of their current duties? 

Departmental consolidation is not easy.  We tried that with the Health Department and found it was better to turn that over to the County.  Departments that are, on paper, operated by both County and City may well be managed by neither.  Control of these departments need to be in the hands of elected officials, not operating completely autonomous and without oversight.  Management by “committee” doesn’t work well.  Look at how RCPD’s budget has mushroomed and the City has zero control over that budget.

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

i doubt i got many government employee or elected officials’ votes.  there was a city/county meeting about this subject yesterday.  i’m disappointed no one has reported on it yet.  maybe it’s next week?

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
We were just talking about coffee. Please join us when Bob sets the time and place.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.