Ironically, the biggest problem I have with my computer
Posted: 15 April 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

comes from the people who are supposed to be protecting it. I am constantly getting pop-ups from Super Spyware, Norton, and the most insidious of all…PC Health Boost, whose pop-ups are very hard to remove.  Does anyone have any ideas about how to jettison them permanently?
I was tricked into LinkdIn, who would not let me unsubscribe, but I was able to relegate them to Spam.  I can’t do that with the pop-ups.
Oh, also highly ironic was the ad that appeared at the top of the screen while I was typing this.  It was a clothing advertisement and was headed by the word “THREADLESS”...how appropriate for this forum.

Posted: 15 April 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

Your problem is probably PC Health Boost—looks like it’s a scam. You might want to get rid of it. From this website: ““PC Health Boost” is a rogue program, which will show unsolicited ads and popups on the user’s computer to trick them into thinking that their computer has several issues, and into purchasing their paid application, which will supposedly fix all these “issues”.”

They recommend using Malwarebytes to get rid of it. I’ve used Malwarebytes and like it. It’s easy to use.

By the way, if you mean SuperAntiSpyware, you can turn off the pop-ups. Open the program, click the “PREFERENCES” button in the bottom left corner, then click the UPDATES tab on the top right. Uncheck the preference that says “Periodically check for application updates.” Then you can close the program. Sounds like PC Health Boost is the reason you’re getting pop-ups though.

Posted: 15 April 2013 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Thanks Stacia. I will give it a try..

Posted: 16 April 2013 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I got rid of the super anti-spyware but am having trouble downloading the malwarebytes.  It says it is downloading, but nothing happens.

Posted: 16 April 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, I figured out why it wasn’t downloading.  I already have the full version on my machine.  One of those things that came with it, I guess.

Posted: 16 April 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, SuperAntiSpyware is the one you want to keep, probably. It doesn’t run unless you click on it and manually start a scan so it doesn’t take much memory. And like I said, you can turn off those pop-ups.

It’s PC Health Boost that is probably a problem. When you run Malwarebytes, make sure you click “yes” when it says the “database is outdated” and wants to know if you want to update it. The Malwarebytes scan should only take a few minutes.

Posted: 17 April 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I didn’t get rid of super anti-spyware…just the pop-up as you suggested…still working on PC Health Boost. By the way, is Norton really worth $70 a year?  One source told me that the computer comes with enough anti-virus, and that Norton was superfluous.

Posted: 17 April 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I don’t care for Norton. I bought an anti-virus product from them last year and the registration fee didn’t cover the full year like it said it would, plus it bogged down my computer. A lot of people swear by it, though.

Posted: 18 April 2013 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

OK, now we are down to the injekt pop-ups.  Any ideas about this little nuisance?

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

All I found online is that it comes attached to an “unfriend” application you can get for Facebook. Do you have that app? If so, the solution seems to be to uninstall and remove the “unfriend” application.

Posted: 19 April 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I don’t think I have that.  I have never “unfriended” anyone because I don’t want to hurt their feelings, even though I don’t even know three-fourths of my “friends”...and…I rarely read facebook. It seems to me to be sort of a pyramid scheme.  Somehow I inherit friends of friends.  I have two teenage “friends” who pollute the entire site with cutesy little teenage things.  I don’t think they do anything else except post silly pictures.  They are harmless, of course, so I don’t want to hurt their feelings by “unfriending” them.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.