Question of ethics…
Posted: 05 April 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

If a City Commissioner is serving on the Board of Trustees of an entity, should she… he/she… recuse her… his/herself from any votes reference taxpaid expansion of such entity’s facility?  Is it ethical for a City Commissioner to support the taxpaid expansion of a facilty when she… he/she… serves on the Board of that facility, resign from the Board long enough to say she… he/she… does not have a conflict?

Posted: 05 April 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

government and a community that’s fine with the ethics of its mayor sitting on the board of directors of a city contractor, the chamber of commerce, is hardly going to challenge on this one, mr. williams.

Posted: 05 April 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

“Appearance of impropriety”.  I just hoped we would see ONE other commissioner exercise the same integrity we have seen exhibited by Jankovich as he has recused himself numerous times.  You stayed clear of the RIP vote, due to a perceived conflict.  Certainly, I do not believe the Mayor should sit on the Board of the Chamber.  Supposedly, that position is ex officio and the Mayor does not have a vote.  In this case, the Mayor is also ex officio of the Library Board… a Board pushing a project the Mayor voted to move forward.  Now, a Board member in full standing will have a vote on the Commission.  This is a direct conflict.  However, I’m sure it will be excused away…..

Posted: 05 April 2013 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

it’s not the vote, ex-officio status.  the chamber hardly needs a mayor for his vote.  it’s the influence.  he’s placed there solely for the office held and the influence that can be pervasive in the relationship.

Posted: 06 April 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry, Larry, Larry,
I have often thought of myself as cynical, but sometimes you make me feel like a cock-eyed optimist.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.