Picture worth 1,000 words…..
Posted: 04 April 2013 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

The photo on The Mercury front page shows the newly elected Reddi hugging Ms. Sherow, while outgoing Commissioner Sherow looks on.  I had truly hoped Commissioner-elect Reddi would be independent and would rationalize each issue as it arose.  Instead, the photo would indicate this may not be the case.  Will we simply have a long-time commissioner, who is retiring from office, pulling puppet strings?  Will each and every special interest issue outgoing Commissioner Sherow has championed now be priority issues for Commissioner-elect Reddi? 

Commissioner Jankovich has displayed integrity in recusing himself from many issues in which he could have an appearance of impropriety due to his business associations.  If this commission is going to be dead split on most every issue, 2/2 with Rich being the swing vote, we could have a number of tie votes as Jankovich recuses.  Yep, I’m beginning to think WWE’s Monday Night Raw might be pretty tame compared to Manhattan’s Tuesday Night Dueling Pitchforks on Poyntz.

Posted: 04 April 2013 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I think the obvious answer is YES. She will forward the “liberal” agenda, as will McCullough.  A lot of old items will reappear, and probably be reinstated. Rich will go along with most of this, unless it conflicts with the Chamber.  And, by the way, you did proclaim a mandate for the last commission.  I am sure Stacia has your comments on record, but I definitely remember you claiming victory after the last election.

Posted: 04 April 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

i believe usha and karen were the only two candidates to receive pac contributions from the firefighters union.  and the picture larry points to does suggest a strong alliance with the sherows. 

but commissioner-elect usha was also funded by blue bloods in the chamber.  a strange alliance, the unions and the chamber blues. 

usha is very bright.  as a pro-union member, i would expect her politics to be left of center.  how much so is yet to be seen. she’s a likable cuss, i can tell you that from personal experience.

ultimately though, it will be commissioner jankovich who makes the heavy choices, the third in 3 to 2.  which side he favors is far more meaningful than what i expect will be an easy call(s) for usha.

Posted: 04 April 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Michael Hadley - 04 April 2013 10:12 AM

And, by the way, you did proclaim a mandate for the last commission.  I am sure Stacia has your comments on record, but I definitely remember you claiming victory after the last election.

Kathy D. is the one who referenced Larry’s “mandate” comments in 2011, not me.

Posted: 05 April 2013 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I know it was Kathy but you keep better records from the old forum than she or I do.

‹‹ What happened????      Question of ethics... ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.