And the investigative journalism story is…..
Posted: 03 April 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Is our Parks & Rec Director still on administrative leave?  What happened?  Do the people paying the salary of an high-ranking administrative official not have justification to know why he was removed from his duties and placed on leave?

Posted: 06 April 2013 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-11-24

Larry:

We have been asking questions about the matter of Curt Loupe, but nobody is saying anything. As you know, the state public records law does not require the government to hand over records of the sort we would need, and so we have to rely for the moment on what people tell us.

Thus, we don’t know anything SUBSTANTIVE beyond what we’ve published. We’d rather not waste people’s time rehashing what we’ve already reported.

It gets under my skin when you say “The Mercury hasn’t written anything on this because: 1. It’s lazy, or 2. It doesn’t want to ruffle feathers, or 3. It’s friends with so-and-so,” or whatever.

Look, we’re human, we’re subject to making mistakes. But if you really think about it, we have the strongest possible motive in the world to do a good job of reporting on stuff like this: Our business depends on it. So if you think we’re missing a story, how about giving me a call, or sending me an e-mail, or doing the same for one of our reporters or editors?

Thanks.

—Ned

Posted: 06 April 2013 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Ned, I shall make every attempt to play nice.  I appreciate it is virtually impossible, via acceptable protocol, to see personal employment records.  If you or one of your reporters were to become privey to the reason for the P&R Director’s being placed on leave, it would undoubtedly be impossible to print without chancing litigation.  With the P&R scandal that created bad press for our city just a few short years ago, I was hoping someone would come forward and say this was an extremely minor infraction and Loupe would be back soon.  The longer the incident goes without explanation, the more time we conspiracy theorists have time to create all kinds of scenarios. 
As far as faulting The Mercury, I was out of line and do apologize.

Posted: 06 April 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-11-24

Larry:

Thanks for playing nice. You’ll kindly excuse me for getting my back up—I just occasionally get set off by that sort of thing.

Anyway, just for the record, if a Mercury reporter were to find out what has happened regarding Mr. Loupe and were to be able to back it up with reliable information, there’s not much risk of litigation. (There’s always a risk of litigation in everything anybody ever does—the question is whether there’s a real risk of LOSING the lawsuit.) Assuming the information was obtained without deception or lawbreaking on The Mercury’s part, we’re in good shape.

—Ned

Posted: 07 April 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Loupe is no longer employed by Parks and Rec. I know why, but I will wait.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.