< 1 2 3
3 of 3
One thing I hope the new Commissioners will do….
Posted: 08 April 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Yes it certainly was different.  It was hostile and aggressive…and threatening.  Mayor is an office, not a person, and we don’t have to respect the views of everyone who holds this office.  Mark is a case in point.  He was a jerk…probably still is, but, at least he is not the mayor.

Posted: 08 April 2013 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

“If everyone’s mind is already made up, why waste the time with these meetings? Just vote and then call Rich and he will decide who prevails.  It would save you having to stay at those meetings and listen to idiots drivel on and on, and keeping you up past your bedtime.”

Hadley, I agree.  This discussion sounds like it’s such a bother for commissioners to listen to public input because it would be just so much easier if they could discuss amongst themselves and decide everything on their own.  I understand the desire for succinctness in comments from the public and support the notion, but suggesting that citizens who have an opinion to express should do so ahead of time via whatever method is convenient sounds like on the night of a vote, people should just shut up and stay home.  Sure, provide input, but please do so in manner that the commission doesn’t have to acknowledge, contribute any attention to, enter into any record, and will get them home to bed at a reasonable hour, and only make public comments for issues that the commission has predetermined aren’t a “done deal.”  Wow.

Posted: 08 April 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael:  I always stay up way late, so it has never been an issue of bed time.  It is an issue of time management.  The amount of effort put into public comment has to be valued by the ability of that comment to sway the vote.  In many cases no factual data is presented, no evidence is presented, it is more about venting.  In some cases (like somebody posted earlier) the spot a topic has on the agenda can be an issue.  If it is last, you get worn out by the earlier topics that are beat to death.  People then tend to go home and not make a case.  I agreed with that posting.  We get a raft of power point presentations that I can read well before the meeting; do we really need to read each slide in public?  Everybody’s mind is not always made up on all topics or even most topics.  I think it is true on selected items.  An example – Karen stated that she was 100% for the rental inspection program during the campaign.  On that topic, I think her mind is made up.  I am 100% against the rental program, especially after our series of meetings where we explored the Life Safety Inspection issue as a substitute.  I think the same can be said for fixed route transportation.  Though if KSU were to show up at a meeting and agree to implement a student fee to support fixed route, then that might be a game changer in my view of the concept.

Posted: 08 April 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Wynn,
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. If you did these meetings at 6 AM, everyone would be more alert….and, I might attend.

< 1 2 3
3 of 3

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.