A Team from Kansas in Final Four but it isn’t the chickenhawks
Posted: 30 March 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2012-10-28

Having grown up somewhere between Manhattan and Wichita I have always been a K State AND Wichita State fan. 

I had hoped to see K State vs Wichita State in the West Regional Final,

It is amazing to see all of the teams that have been top 5 all year long defeated while the Shockers go to the final 4.

My guess is that Gregg Marshall’s stock is rising so fast Big Money will steal him away from Wichita State very soon.

Posted: 31 March 2013 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
My memory may fail me, but, didn’t Wichita State knock out the Jayhawks back in the early eighties? I seem to remember that.

Posted: 31 March 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

In 1981 Kansas defeated Ole Miss in the first round, defeated Arizona State in the 2nd round and then met up with Wichita State in the third round.  Wichita State beat the Chickenhawks 66-65 before losing to LSU in Elite 8.

Posted: 31 March 2013 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

Other NCAA history for Wichita State

1964 lost to K State in the Elite 8, 94-93

1965 made teh final four only to come up against teh John Wooden UCLA Juggernaut, lost 108-98

1981 defeated KU in the Sweet 16

1985, 1987, 1988 one and done (Georgia, St. John’s. DePaul) 88 was the Danny Manning Championship year

2006 2-1 (Seton Hall, Tennessee, George Mason)

2013 so far 4-0 Pitt, Gonzaga, La Salle (could have been K State) and Ohio State

And although its not the same as the NCAA by any stretch of the imagination the Shockers did managed to win the 2011 NIT

Posted: 01 April 2013 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

So following the bouncing ball as Wichita State heads into deep waters with the sharks…  I came across this article on Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013/03/31/wichita-states-shocking-run-to-final-four-produces-financial-windfall-for-missouri-valley-conference/

The long and short of it describes how Conference Revenue is paid out of NCAA Tournament appearances specifically for the Missouri Valley but also in general for all conferences.

The article also brings up the issue of the Missouri Valley losing Creighton to the Big East, or should I say the New Look Big East minus all the football schools”

Anyway, my mind begins to think about how the loss of Creighton may affect the desire of Wichita State to remain in the Missouri Valley minus Creighton and a substantial source of revenue for the Valley.

So now I’m wondering if there is a possible change of conferences on the Horizon for Wichita and I also wonder if the Big 12 has any (for lack of a better term) “room” for Wichita.  I don’t know if the Big 12 collectively has any desire to add a non-football school, I don’t see why they wouldn’t if they could earn money on that schools basketball program and wouldn’t have to share any football dollars…

But I have never heard of anyone in or around the Big 12 having any desire/tolerance/willingness to entertain such an idea…

Still I wonder… It would certainly take care of Kansas Legislators trying to pass laws to require the ChickenHawk to play WuShock.  I mean, REALLY, shouldn’t the 2 schools with the most ridiculous looking mascots be required to play each other at least twice each year?..

Posted: 01 April 2013 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
For as long as I can remember, KSU and KU have refused to schedule a game with WSU.  Maybe it’s because of that 81’ thing, or maybe they think they are too good to play the likes of Wichita.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.