Are there no laws?
Posted: 30 March 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Yesterday, here in Hooterville there was a small child racing up and down the streets in a small motorcycle.  This kid couldn’t have been more than seven years old. Aren’t there laws that determine when someone is of age to operate a motorized vehicle?
I’ll give him credit, he was wearing a helmet…which was about the same size as him.

Posted: 31 March 2013 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I thought there IS a law in redneck communities that required kids to operate motor vehicles on streets… shoot firearms… drink beer… and chew BEFORE they attained the age of six!!  Kids this age driving, drinkin’, and shootin’ is not a privilege to be regulated by law.  It’s a right under the Constitution.
If these kids are disciplined by the police, their parents are the first to complain.  If the kids are injured during these exibitions of “backwoods behavior”, those same parents are the first to sue because someone didn’t discipline their kids.  If you look further, I’d imagine the parents of this kid riding up and down your streets have a refrigerator full of beer, ashtays full of butts, haven’t had gainful employment in years, and are feeding their family with food stamps.  Yet, a motorbike for their kid is a necessity… one possibly even paid for with revenue from the meth lab in the delapidated back porch of their rundown rental house.
There are many good parents who work hard and are able to treat their children to supervised recreational activity such as riding motor vehicles.  Those parents will take the time to instruct their children in safe operation of these vehicles and will find off-road areas to allow them to ride.  The parents who allow their kids to operate motorbikes on public streets should be locked up and their kids turned over to authorities for placement in responsible homes.

Posted: 31 March 2013 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

That’s a bit harsh, Larry. Personally, I think that those parents who permit young children to drive off road vehicles anywhere, are irresponsible. I should add that this child was accompanied by an older person on a small motorcycle….brother? father?.  That doesn’t change the fact that the child should not be operating a motorized vehicle.
I was driving at age 11, but it was a large farm truck.  I probably shouldn’t have been allowed.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.