Boy, this is one exciting forum
Posted: 15 October 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry, are they back from the weekend?  It seems not.

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

the format may attract folks who aren’t here to get in a food fight.  we’ll have to give it time.  posters like barn, stacia, curious, just sayin’ and other regulars aren’t coming out of the closet, it seems.

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Bob…They are not in the closet.  They use these names to protect their identity.  Perhaps for a good reason.  It might be that their employers would not approve of their comments and they might lose their jobs…something you and I do not have to worry about.  If you haven’t noticed, the forum board is all but buried.  I have e-mailed Ned asking him to reconsider this “real name” policy.  The forum, as it stands now, is a boring joke.

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

michael, they are in the closet hiding their identities for whatever reason.  i’ve never bought the rationale that they’ll be fired.  most, simply don’t want people to know who posts such silliness.

Posted: 19 October 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-10-18

I would be more attracted to participate in a forum where the discussion is more civil and rational.  Isn’t it ironic how the trolls shoot off at the mouth, turn every discussion into a personal attack on someone, and call that “freedom of speech”, when it discourages those who may have an interest in using their Almighty American Freedom of Speech for more productive and constructive uses.  It doesn’t offend or scare me, but I’m sure not going to waste my time reading that crap, and I choose not to subject myself to it, in order to have my say.

This may chase a few of the trolls away, but I’m not holding my breath.  There are more effective approaches to discouraging trolls, and I do believe people have legitimate concerns about their privacy in a public online forum.  It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Posted: 19 October 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Kate, since the Seatons saw fit to require the real names, let’s hope they do a much better job moderating this new board.  If they let it get out of hand, like the old board, people using their own names will initiate all kinds of problems.  On the old board, RCPD Director Schoen chimed in quite often.  We appreciated his input.  If we use our real identies and the personal attacks are allowed, Director Schoen may have to moderate the forum himself!!!

I, for one, am willing to give it a try.  I still firmly believe a format where neighbors can visit about local issues, while bragging they have the ability to solve global problems, is a healthy thing for the community. 

As I’ve stated, there is little we can do to change the things happening in Washington, D.C…. or across the oceans.  There is little we can do to solve the urban problems of a Los Angeles or a Chicago.  Where each of us can have the most impact on quality of life, social issues, taxes, etc. is right here in our own community.  Listening to Faux News or MSNBC may get us fired up… but accomplish nothing but raising our blood pressure.  Working with friends and neighbors here in Manhattan can… WILL make a difference.

‹‹ Great opinion piece, Bob!      Ball’s Lunch ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.