< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
The Mercury… Hypocrisy At Its Best!!!
Posted: 13 March 2013 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Kathy Dzewaltowski - 12 March 2013 01:19 PM

I know who I would infer the “anonymous source” is.  Maybe one who used to frequent the forums and complain about posters hiding behind monikers and now is doing the same?

I will never understand why Michael, Larry, and The Merc do so much of Bob’s dirty work for him. Last time Michael willingly let Bob Strawn use him as a tool over on the old forums, he got a little upset to find out Bob had misrepresented the situation. Guess he’s forgotten about that already. Easy to do when The Merc deletes the old forums filled with Bob’s sockpuppets, bigotry and trolling just in time for Bob to campaign again. All a coincidence, I’m sure.

Posted: 13 March 2013 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Stacia… I understand your feelings about Bob’s posting on the previous discussion board.  You have your opinions, based on what you read on that forum, and most certainly have a right to those opinions.  Frankly, I disagree with those feelings.  My assessment of Bob and his service while a City Commissioner and your assessment will never be in concert.  That’s what makes this Country so great.  We can each form our own opinions from what we read and hear and we are free to express those opinions.

Of the candidates currently running to fill the open seats on the City Commission, Mr. Strawn is most certainly one of my top choices.  I applaud the work he did and the stands he took.  It was, again in my opinion, a mistake for Bob to spend so much time on The Mercury discussion board when he was a Commissioner.  I appreciate Wynn’s participation on this forum, but don’t know if it’s best for his political future.  Seems those most successful are comfortable hiding behind the dais on Tuesday nights and in the shadow of the quazi governmental organizations that weild big sticks in town.  Yet, both Bob and Wynn stated their positions, sometimes not too tactfully. 

Our community has seen significant discourse, during the past few years, relative to some highly emotional social issues.  Some local politicians duck and hide.  Others state their cases, even if it ruffles feathers.  I would much rather be represented by those who are up front with their politics than those who seem to simply be puppets for the shadow government.

Posted: 13 March 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

“Seems those most successful are comfortable hiding behind the dais on Tuesday nights and in the shadow of the quazi governmental organizations . . . “

Or, hiding behind the pseudonym “Mr. Kaw” on Our Manhattan’s web site, as Wynn Butler has done.  Nothing wrong, I guess, in having a column, so to speak with a cutesy name similar to the “I Wonder” column, but he doesn’t seem to want people to know it’s him since it says, “Mr. Kaw is a fictional character that is used by a multitude of ghost writers on local topics.”  Maybe that was true in the past, but all of the current postings by “Mr. Kaw” all show “Wynn” as the author.

Posted: 13 March 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Larry Williams - 13 March 2013 06:52 AM

You have your opinions, based on what you read on that forum, and most certainly have a right to those opinions.  Frankly, I disagree with those feelings.  My assessment of Bob and his service while a City Commissioner and your assessment will never be in concert.  That’s what makes this Country so great.  We can each form our own opinions from what we read and hear and we are free to express those opinions. [...]

Our community has seen significant discourse, during the past few years, relative to some highly emotional social issues.  Some local politicians duck and hide.  Others state their cases, even if it ruffles feathers.  I would much rather be represented by those who are up front with their politics than those who seem to simply be puppets for the shadow government.

So posting antisemitic propaganda was just Bob Strawn stating his case, even if it ruffled feathers? Here’s a brief snippet of that infamous thread. The picture is big, but it gets the point across. As I mentioned before, I kept copies of a few of those lovely Bob threads on the now-deleted forums.

And hey, if you care more about a politician being “up front” than not being bigoted, that’s your business.

Defending Bob Strawn by claiming he’s just “stating his case” in political matters when you know full well that was not what Bob was doing in his time on the Mercury forums is disingenuous. It is impossible to take anything you say seriously, Larry, because you are so willing to completely lie about what happened just to help your friend out. Was the comment here where you claimed Bob wouldn’t run because his “wife had health issues” a lie, too? A little misdirection, or just unfortunate gossip you posted to pretend like you were in the know?

Of course, there was the time he called gays “repulsive.” I suppose that might be a matter of community discourse as you claim. The Nazi posters? No, no they were not simply reflections of “highly emotional social issues.”

Can’t for the life of me figure out what Wynn is up to, though. The Google cache still had Wynn’s name on those articles last night, but the cache has been flushed already. Kathy’s right, they were credited to him. Why hide it?

Ah, well. My advanced apologies to Ned Seaton, who is probably going to be getting a phone call or two about what I’ve written here before the end of the day.

Posted: 13 March 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
Just to be clear.  Bob and I are friends.  Politically, however, we are generally miles apart.  When we have coffee we rarely talk about politics.  We do, sometimes, talk about some politicians.  I think he and Larry have met only once.
I have all kinds of friends, and sometimes, if they ask, I will do favors for them.  I don’t remember the incident you are talking about where I defended Bob and then was outraged to find that he had misled me.  I am not denying it, I just don’t remember the specific issue.  Perhaps you could dig into those JEH files of yours and refresh my memory.
When Larry posted that Bob would not run, you will recall that I said he would. It was however, I believe a last minute decision.  I had coffee with two of the now candidates before they filed and both seemed a bit reticent.  It might interest you to know that these two candidates are at the opposite end of the political spectrum…but, we can all enjoy coffee and conversation.
By the way, I read the Mr. Kaw things and saw nothing very subversive there.
I assure you, there is no conspiracy among Larry, The Mercury and myself.  Maybe Larry and the Mercury…they have always been palsy…:-)

Posted: 13 March 2013 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-21

While not straight denying Mr. Kaw is him, Mr. Butler has been evasive, elusive regarding the matter.  Why hide it, if as you say, there’s nothing subversive about it?  I suppose he has his reasons.

Posted: 13 March 2013 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Kathy,
Maybe he was just having some fun.  What, specifically in the Mr Kaw piece bothered you? I found it rather innocuous.

Posted: 13 March 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-21

Do you realize that there are 7 postings under the Mr. Kaw section that were all written by “Wynn”?  Some of Mr. Kaw’s postings praise the candidates for city commission for being “direct,” “explicit,” “what you see is what you get,” while maligning others, and using terms like “obfuscate,” “elude,” “evasive” as negative adjectives to describe the candidates Mr. Kaw doesn’t like.  Seems a little ironic, and it comes across to me as he wants to influence the election without people knowing that it’s him.  Of course, I don’t know that that’s the situation, but that’s what I’m left to infer without more information.

Posted: 13 March 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Kathy,
If you add up the number of people who read “Mr Kaw”, and those who post on this forum, I doubt that we will decide any election.  As my daddy used to say, you are talking to hear your head rattle. He was referring to me, not you.
Larry has no influence, the mercury has little and I have none.  I can’t even make my cats mind.

Posted: 13 March 2013 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-21

Good point.  And I would assume that anyone who belongs to Our Manhattan is already of a like mind, and quite possibly all know who Mr. Kaw is.

Posted: 13 March 2013 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I wouldn’t say all those people you listed have no influence. Last night when looking up stuff through the Google cache, I discovered things I’ve said here on the forums posted to some Facebook accounts. Things get around.

Posted: 13 March 2013 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

Of course, there was the time he called gays “repulsive.”

stacia, you must be friends with ms. hwang asserting facts that in reality never happened.  perhaps you can show in the post you linked where i call gays “repulsive.”  kindly, cut and past that quote.

also, back to ms hwang’s letter to the editor the other night, to wit i sent this letter in reply.  not surprisingly it deals with the same general subject as yours, stacia.

Some of you may have read Monday’s Mercury op-ed “Elect all women, and Estabrook” by contributing writer Grace Y. Hwang.  Ms. Hwang wrote in part: “Bob Strawn, believes in a litmus test for other candidates: if you believe in the anti-discrimination ordinance, you should be kicked off of every board and commission.”

I want you to know this statement is false.  In fact, most every member on the city’s human rights board, which recommended the ordinance Ms. Hwang refers to, was appointed or recommended for that board by me when I was serving as mayor.  My daughter-in-law, Kimberly, chaired the board.

I’m not sure why Ms. Hwang found it necessary to write these words.  But they are certainly an example of why good people refuse to stand for public office.  If the subject comes up in your community of influence, I hope you will put it to rest.  bob

Posted: 13 March 2013 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Bob Strawn - 13 March 2013 07:03 PM

Of course, there was the time he called gays “repulsive.”

stacia, you must be friends with ms. hwang asserting facts that in reality never happened.  perhaps you can show in the post you linked where i call gays “repulsive.”  kindly, cut and past that quote.

Quoting Bob Strawn, from a thread on the old Manhattan Mercury forums dated May 13, 2012, now deleted but a copy of his whole post can be found here, and a copy of the first page of the whole thread (huge picture, you’ll need to click on it to make it original size, then scroll up and down) is here: “I cannot imagine how male-on-male sex can be a real and true choice.  it’s such an unnatural and repulsive act in my mind…”

Sadly, I don’t think I have a copy of the second page where the discussion continues. I do have a lovely copy of what you said about gays and transgendered persons in another thread:

Bob Strawn, from the Manhattan Mercury forums, December 19, 2010, copy of page one here and page two here: “dar and randall, seriously…what you really want is for everyone to agree that practicing being gay and transgender is okay. that’s what this is about.

...as to yours, i have said from day one that the gay question is generational.  when my generation passes, any remaining discrimination, albeit however small in today’s society, probably passes with our deaths.

the transgender question is different for me.  it is medical.  the profession says this is a mental disorder.  we should not codify discrimination based on someone’s mental illness.  that has always been my position.”

I didn’t read the letter to the editor you refer to, but if someone is calling you out on being anti-gay, they’re not wrong, Bob. You are anti-gay. You try to play both sides of the fence, but your weak claims that you’re not anti-gay melt under your very public comments and voting record.

As I said earlier, if people want to vote for you because they think your behavior is just apple-pie-eatin’ straight-shootin’ honesty, then more power to them. Not everyone agrees.

(Edited to correct formatting.)

Posted: 14 March 2013 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Kathy:  I’m glad you like the Mr. K column.  I do help the PAC with the website (I was one of the founding members), doing editing and posting of material.  Unfortunately I cannot take credit for all of the material posted as it is circulated and edited by a number of folks and I just do the final edit and posting as I agreed to manage that particular page.  The executive committee decided to start the Mr. K page as an alternative view to what the Mercury and Free press post.  OM collects ideas for workup as possible postings.  We were planning on getting something posted every week or so.  We will see how it goes, very time consuming.  We will of course not publish stuff like Grace posted to the Mercury.  At present I personally agree with everything posted to the page, but I may not agree with all of the future items as the OM group is not lock step on all topics.  I did not agree with much of the ½ cent sales tax information posted to the site, as OM was split on that issue.  I hope view of the column becomes a regular event, that was the goal.

Posted: 14 March 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Wynn,
Not to burst your bubble or put words in the mouth of another, but I don’t think Kathy is all that fond of Mr K.
I have no opinions, except that I used to like Mr K’s a lot.  Great cheeseburgers and cold beer.  Probably before your time.

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.