Cats as predators
Posted: 09 March 2013 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Did anyone read that raving column on the editorial page by the bird man?  He said that cats are evil and dangerous so they should be kept in the house to protect the birds and other wildlife.  To tell you the truth, I am not all that fond of birds.  They crap all over my car.  As for the rest of the endangered wildlife, primarily mice, I have never had a mouse in this house.  They won’t even come in the yard.  Last time I saw mice was in an apartment I had in Manhattan…and it was full of them.  The only birds my cats have killed are Robins.  That is sad to me, and if I catch them in the act, I free the robin…but, robins are stupid.  They waddle around on the ground and are fat and slow. I have lots of cardinals, but they are smart and fast and stay off the ground.  I also have a lot of crows and the cats learned not to fool with them.
It is true that cats are evil and destructive.  They did a number on Sunday’s paper last week and they eat plants, and break things.  That is why I let them outside.  They wear themselves out chasing one another around the yard, and when they come in, they nap. As if I could stop them from going outside.  They dart past me so fast, I don’t even see them

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael:  I caught that article.  I have one inside outside cat.  He does kill something about every 17 hours or so.  The neighbors like Mr. Red as he kills of the mice and rats from little kitten creek.  A bird or two does fall victim on occasion.  Soon the real slaughter will begin – baby rabbits the menu of choice for Mr. Red.  One of my neighbors comes over and picks him up and takes him over to her garden and any other locations that she spots a rabbit.  They guy does not even have to do his own hunting.  The squirrels; a multitude in the area, are safe as they remain in the trees and only drop down on my wife’s bird feeders when Red is full or is sleeping.  Without Red the predator we would be overrun with rabbits, mice and rats.

Posted: 12 March 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

When I lived in Oklahoma, my house was in the country in the middle of five wooded acres.  The cats were essential for maintaining a mouse/snake free environment.  They also liked to do in lizards which are snakes with legs. I had Guinea hens to take care of the tick problem and the cats never bothered them.  I also had some fighting roosters who had retired from the ring and were given to me by the local organizer of cock fights.  The cats nor the dog fooled with them.  One of them liked to fly and would perch on the roof looking like a weather vane.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.