2 of 2
Illegal Aliens & Amnesty
Posted: 04 March 2013 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2013-02-18
Stacia Jones - 03 March 2013 10:20 PM
Dave Avery - 03 March 2013 04:55 PM

The inscription at the base of the Statute of Liberty concludes, “I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
It says nothing about welcoming people who bypass our entry doors by climbing walls, swimming rivers and sneaking under border fences.

Or landing their ships on rocks after running away from their native England because people were too tolerant over there.

So what Native tribe are you a member of, Dave?

You said tolerant,did you mean intolerant?

As for your Native American remark, On the 16th of May 1865 in Jefferson county Alabama a certain Thomas Hutchins married Margaret A.V. Oliver. (look it up)

If you look on the Dawes Cherokee enrollment cards- final rolls (look it up), there is a Margaret Hutchins listed under card # 475

Those were my Great Grandparents. Thank you for asking.

Although not a member, I’m still proud to have Eastern Cherokee blood running through my veins.

What tribe are you a member of?

Posted: 04 March 2013 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

Cherokee primarily, my great-grandmother escaped from a reservation that immigrant Europeans and their descendants forced her and her families onto. She was just as “illegal” as the Mexican immigrants you’re railing about. I’m not a member either, and unfortunately don’t have any of the genealogy info, my dad sent it to my great aunt just before he died and she’s a little dotty, so never returned it.  Also have some Chickasaw from the other side of the family, and my husband is 1/4 Seminole.

The point, as more than one of us has pointed out, is that we’re all immigrants. You and I may be 1/8 Native, but we’re 7/8 immigrant, and it’s hypocritical to rail against current immigrants as though we have some right to be here and they don’t.

Posted: 04 March 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

In my experience, half the country is part Cherokee.  They must have been prolific in the parenting area. I lived in Tahlequah for seven years teaching at the university.  It was amazing the number of blond-haired, blue-eyed “Cherokees” who sought and received free benefits including medical.
Not to be picky, but the Dawes rolls were extremely flawed. They, of course, did not speak the language so they wrote down what they heard.  In one instance the put down Peter New York as a name. I got this information from Robert Conley, a noted Cherokee scholar and author, and from the journal of Tams Bixby Jr, whose father actually headed the commission during the enrollment period.

Posted: 04 March 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-02-18
Stacia Jones - 04 March 2013 08:06 AM

Cherokee primarily, my great-grandmother escaped from a reservation that immigrant Europeans and their descendants forced her and her families onto. She was just as “illegal” as the Mexican immigrants you’re railing about. I’m not a member either, and unfortunately don’t have any of the genealogy info, my dad sent it to my great aunt just before he died and she’s a little dotty, so never returned it.  Also have some Chickasaw from the other side of the family, and my husband is 1/4 Seminole.

The point, as more than one of us has pointed out, is that we’re all immigrants. You and I may be 1/8 Native, but we’re 7/8 immigrant, and it’s hypocritical to rail against current immigrants as though we have some right to be here and they don’t

Enjoy

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Cherokee_Heritage_Project

Posted: 04 March 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Michael Hadley - 04 March 2013 09:53 AM

In my experience, half the country is part Cherokee.  They must have been prolific in the parenting area. I lived in Tahlequah for seven years teaching at the university.  It was amazing the number of blond-haired, blue-eyed “Cherokees” who sought and received free benefits including medical.

You might be interested to learn of a little thing called genetics, Michael. My dad and grandmother both had the straight black hair and darker skin that my great grandmother did, though I don’t, even though otherwise I look a lot like her. Ever since grandma, my Cherokee great-grandmother’s daughter, we’ve been those “blue-eyed Cherokees” you think are fake, because thanks to genetics, my great-grandfather’s striking blue eyes were dominant. It doesn’t surprise me one bit that Tahlequah had a lot of people with Cherokee heritage that you thought didn’t “look” Cherokee.

Posted: 04 March 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

The real test is to take them to a bar.  You’ll discover very quickly whether they are Cherokees or not.

Posted: 05 March 2013 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

What’s with you being a racist, sexist ass today, Hadley?

Posted: 05 March 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
That comment is one frequently…and jokingly…made by many full blood Cherokees who resent having to wait in line for services because there are so many “marginal” Cherokees flooding the system.
By the way, whether genetic (which has been generally discredited) or cultural (which I believe), they are generally bad drunks.  Many of the bars in Tahlequah wouldn’t let them in. The Cherokees themselves joke about how bad drunks they are. Spend an evening in a Cherokee bar in Tahlequah and you will see for yourself.  They get mean, nasty and hostile. Of course, not all Cherokees drink or drink to excess, not even most, but the ones that do are pretty damned scary.
They also have another saying that I always liked…“You lie like Indian dog.” Never knew exactly what it meant, but it has a ring to it.  I met Wilma Mankiller on several occasions, thanks to my friend Robert Conley.
She was an elegant woman, who died too young. She was a great Chief.

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

So you made a racist comment, then claimed as a defense that you know “many full blood Cherokees” who have made that exact joke, which means it’s totally okay for you to do it. That’s pitiful, Hadley.

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
Time to take that chill pill. I made no racist comment and all your bullying won’t change that. As a matter of fact, I know many full blood Cherokees and they would not consider what I said a racist statement. They would just laugh.  But, if it makes you feel morally superior, call it a racist statement. Frankly, I don’t give a damn. (I would use the original quote, but then you would accuse me of being sexist) As I said, check out some local bars in Tahlequah and see what you think.

Posted: 15 May 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-02-18
Larry Williams - 03 March 2013 04:01 PM

MIchael, we all know he’s talking about the folks coming in from Mexico.  The far right is still suggesting all that is evil in our Country is a result of allowing those of color to vote.  The last thing we want is for them thar Mexikans to becom ‘Merikans and be able to vote.  We might even end up with another black President… or a brown one.

If you read the Constitution, it says nothing about allowing non-whites to vote.

Larry,if you read our immigration laws it says nothing about 11 million illegal aliens being allowed to enter our country!

Posted: 15 May 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-02-18
Stacia Jones - 04 March 2013 08:06 AM

The point, as more than one of us has pointed out, is that we’re all immigrants. You and I may be 1/8 Native, but we’re 7/8 immigrant, and it’s hypocritical to rail against current immigrants as though we have some right to be here and they don’t.

I’m talking about illegal aliens,not legal immigrants, big difference. And we do have a right to be here under our current immigration laws, and they don’t.

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.