PANIC ATTACK!!!!!
Posted: 21 February 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Shelves were cleaned out.  Anything that wasn’t tied down was purchased by those suffering the panic initiatied by watching the predictions of a major storm.  I heard of one person who purchased 12 gallons of milk.  People purchased enough bread to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from now ‘til the Second Coming.  PLEASE…..

If you were victim to the panic attack, please don’t let the extra food spoil!!  There are many organizations in town who would see that the extra food is put to good use.  Flint HIlls Food Basket… Emergency Shelter… Call your church… Find someone who is on fixed income or is having a difficult time, financially.  DO NOT hoard and see good food go to waste when so many would give thanks to have a full meal.

I’ve always suggested there is a conspiracy between the weather forecasters and the grocery industry.  A couple times each year, a major storm is predicted and people rush to buy up groceries.  Most of the time, the storm isn’t near what was predicted.  But, the panic attack sets in an people hoard food.

Pay it forward!!!  Donate… Don’t dump!!!!!

Posted: 21 February 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Turned out to be pretty piddly…at least here in Hooterville…unless, of course, something happens overnight.  The forecasters were as accurate as they usually are.  From what I have heard, it was much worse south of I70 than north.  The direct opposite of what was predicted. Still it was enough to make driving a bit hazardous.  Looks like Manhattan got more of it than we did.

Posted: 21 February 2013 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

I just got in from shoveling and we had drifts up to my hinder, and in the shallowest areas it was still a good 10 inches, which is exactly as forecast. There are still flurries coming down, enough that the car we just cleaned off was covered with a significant dusting only 30 minutes later. We’re on the very south side of Manhattan, I don’t know if it was worse or better elsewhere.

My husband picked up TP and cat litter on the way home from work last night at 11PM and he said the store looked normal. I guess the panic didn’t happen until the snow hit early this morning.

Posted: 21 February 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
We didn’t get anywhere near that here in Hooterville.  My car is barely covered. People here have been driving all day…not me.

Posted: 24 February 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
In spite of your warning, the hoarders were out in force this morning.  I was nearly trampled in Wal Mart. All I needed was some trash bags. Oddly enough, the cheapest trash bags are Hefty.  You can get them for about five bucks, and they are strong…AND…they are in a green box…AND…they are tough…AND…they are mostly recycled.  A Handy Household Hint from Hadley.
Better go get your white bread and bologna now. I have a large pantry, so I hoard all the time.  I am not a binge hoarder, but I have enough food in that pantry to serve ten people for a year or two.  I watch for the dented canned goods for .25 or less.  They keep a long time. Be careful of dented tomatoes, however. They are OK but don’t try them after a year.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.