Are you ready for some snow?
Posted: 20 February 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

If this comes down as predicted, it will be the most I have seen since I was nine or ten.  At that age, I loved it.  We had a major blizzard and the road to our house was probably fifteen feet under the snow.  My friends and I…foolishly…made a cave underneath.  Lucky for us that it didn’t collapse and kill us all. There were trees lining both sides of the road so the snow drifted nicely.  Some of the neighbors were trapped and so they stayed at our house for several days.  It was great fun.  I remember Dr. Hall.  I said “well, at least we have a doctor” and he explained to me that he wasn’t that kind of doctor.  He was a prof at the college.
NOW, however, I hate this white crap (I am being polite just in case anyone is monitoring these forums). I wish it would go away forever.

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

K-State has already announced that it will be closed on Thursday.

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Wooses…I don’t remember them ever closing when I taught there. We just toughed it out. Of course, back then, the students were close to campus rather than far away in luxury townhouses, and we certainly don’t want the little darlings behind the wheel of an automobile with that much snow. The last snow, one of them pulled out in front of me…that was OK, if imprudent…but then he just stopped.  I missed creaming him by a good three inches. Stay home and stay warm. I stocked up on Gin and grapefruit juice and cartons of cigarettes, so I am prepared. I hope.

Posted: 20 February 2013 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

With each passing year, I despise winter more!  But, we cannot control Mother Nature.  She will do what she does, regardless of what we want or wish.  No sense in worrying.  Won’t do any good.

The problem with cancelling school or the “U” or closing businesses is that people won’t stay home.  Dave Relihan, on WIBW Radio, says if you get out tomorrow… dress for a wreck!!  Emergency services will be exhausted.  Wrecker services will be running hours behind.  Idiots who drive like dingbats on dry streets will be speeding down snowpacked thoroughfares.  Wally World and the Mall will be packed.  Bars will be doing the best business of the year, other than Faux Patty’s Day.  Stay home, people!!!! 

Posted: 20 February 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Stay home is good advice.  The snow plows -13 large City of Manhattan trucks will be in operation on 12 hour shifts for the city starting at around 8 PM tonight.  It will be tough to just keep the main roads and emergency routes open.  The residential areas will not see any plows until maybe Friday.

Posted: 20 February 2013 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

I live near the City Works on Juliette and have heard them getting ready for several hours now. The snow is delayed a bit until 1 AM, but by the time my husband goes in for 2nd shift work tomorrow afternoon, there will have been 12-14 hours of snow, often heavy, and it is forecast to STILL be heavy as he’ll be driving to work. I understand time is money, but it seems prudent for his company to shut down if the weather really is that bad, though he says the company won’t do it.

Even though we live near street plows, our area of town often never gets plowed at all. I think it’s partly because the streets are so narrow and everyone parks at the curb so a plow can’t even get through.

Posted: 20 February 2013 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
Stay warm.  It is irresponsible for a company to require an employee to drive to work in this kind of mess. When I was teaching at Ft Riley many years ago, they said…classes meet regardless of weather…I said screw you, I am not risking my life. KSU was wise in shutting down.  I will be having some serious cabin fever for the next few days as will the cats who are already acting crazy.  I pulled my car into the lawn to keep it from being buried by the snow plows, which, if the predictions are correct, will erect about a ten foot wall of snow in front of my house.  The bright side is that I may be able to finish another book, which currently is at 40,000 words, and has been ignored of late. 
All of you take care, and pray that the damned electricity doesn’t go out.  Now, I am off to watch The Day After Tomorrow…Cheers

Posted: 21 February 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I e-mailed a friend about an hour ago and said this was a piddly storm.  It was barely snowing.  I just had to open my big mouth.  Now it is coming down thickly and quickly.  This morning, it wasn’t even sticking to the car.  It was powdery and harmless.  This new stuff appears to be more ominous.

Posted: 21 February 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

Husband’s work actually called off today, thankfully. First time they’ve ever done that, though I think about 6-7 years ago there was a bad weather day so many people called in for that they basically gave a “free” vacation day to everyone to cover it.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.