< 1 2
2 of 2
Even better than a quarter million dollar walk bridge….
Posted: 20 February 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

It seems to me that the Little Apple Day Camp offered in the summers is a daycare program, which has been operating for years in competition with private business and using taxpayers’ money, i.e. the city has already been in the daycare business for years. 

Did the zoo ask for economic development funds for the daycare?  I don’t think that it did.  The Manhattan Living Wage Coalition’s concern has always been with businesses that ask for economic development dollars and that they should pay employees a living wage.

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

As long as it is self-sustaining, I don’t have a real problem with it, although I still don’t know why the target group can’t just hire a nanny who can take the children to the zoo and jump through chalk pictures, and have tea on the ceiling.

Posted: 20 February 2013 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Josh:  The limit for the facility is 20 - based on size of the facility.  It cannot grow past that limit without more infrastructure.  Here is some more info on funding:

The General fund outlay to the ZOO was $897,290 for 2013.

The Special Sunset Zoo fund was $543,050 2013 – includes FOSZ contributions.

The GF amount is tax dollars – sales or property.  The Special fund is generated from sales at the zoo, tickets gift shop etc This fund includes education and donations.

The City day care program is supposed to be operated out of the Special Sunset Zoo fund.  The fees generated by the children in the program are billed to cover the cost of the program 100%.  The Parks director stated last night that he would make that happen or close the day care program.

The program will add two full time and two part time employees.  Total cost – this included KPERS, FICA, insurance etc was billed at around 130K.  Only one of the four employees will be paid a living wage.  But I guess low wage is OK if it can be used to justify City Run day care, but it just cannot be allowed for private business.  I do not trust the projections on this project.  The personnel cost will be higher, especially if one of the staff is ill or takes FMLA.  The plan for that is to cover absent time with other zoo staff.  That time is not part of the projection.  Insurance cost was also omitted.  I think they will need the full 20 children to make this program work.  I wish them success and will monitor cost to ensure that the Park Director and City Manager achieve the revenue neutral or it closes pledge.  Also FOSZ came out 100% for this plan and sort of said they would make up shortfalls and that is encouraging. If all goes as planned this should not impact on our tax dollars and that is a good thing.

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

I guess I never thought of the Day Camp as daycare specifically, but rather a summer camp for kids who are staying in town.

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.