Seven City Commission Candidate Forums
Posted: 16 February 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

Candidate Forums

Thursday, February 21 – sponsored by the Landlords of Manhattan
(held at Holiday Inn at the Campus, 1641 Anderson Ave.)
•5:30 – Social networking/cash bar
•6:00 – Soup/salad bar/buffet
•6:30 – Announcements & Candidate Forum

Monday, February 25; 5:30-8:00 p.m. – sponsored by Our Manhattan, a political action committee (held in the
auditorium of the Manhattan Public Library, 629 Poyntz Ave.).
Meet and greet at 5;30 PM Forum at 6 PM.

Monday, March 4 – sponsored by the Manhattan Area Chamber of
Commerce (Fire Station Headquarters at Denison & Kimball Aves.)
•5:30 – Meet & Greet opportunity with all candidates
•6:00 – School Board Candidate Forum
•7:00 – City Commission Forum

Friday, March 8; 1:30 p.m. – sponsored by the Riley County Seniors’
Service Center (held at the Center at 301 N. 4th St)

Sunday, March 10; 2:30 p.m. – sponsored by the League of Women
Voters of Manhattan/Riley County and others (held at Fire Station Headquarters – Denison & Kimball Aves.)

Monday, March 11; 7:00 p.m. – sponsored by the Manhattan Association
of REALTORS and Flint Hills Area Builders (Holiday Inn at the Campus)

Monday, March 25; 7:00 p.m. – sponsored by Downtown Manhattan, Inc.
(held at The Wareham, 410 Poyntz Ave.)

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

Uh, Mr. Butler, it looks like there are SEVEN forums.  What should I “guess or infer” about your inability to count correctly?

Posted: 17 February 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Kathy, we’ve got to cut somewhere!  There’s just not enough numbers to go around, for all the forums.  Candidate forums are a liberal invention/initiative, anyway.  One of the forums may well be a “faux forum”, similar to the City Commission applauded drunkfest… Faux Patty’s Day.

Speaking of numbers…  Noticed the ultra-fancy paint job on a vehicle assigned to Code Services.  I understand why Police and Fire need vehicles that stand out.  I understand why Street Department and Water/Wastewater vehicles need to at least have the small City of Manhattan decal, easily removed when the vehicle is traded in.  What did the huge red racing stripe and large Code Services lettering add to the cost of government??  Why does Code Enforcement require anything other than the standard City of Manhattan decal on their vehicles?

Posted: 17 February 2013 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

Kathy , Thanks for the editing help.  I updated the header to indicate seven.  The headline is normal for the Mercury, always expect typos.  The point is to let people know that various groups have forums planned.  These seven are open.  A couple of groups have private meetings with candidates.  Maybe a few more forums will be added. Forums and town hall meetings will help to inform the voters.

Larry:  I think Code services can write a few citations on selected items. For that reason they need distinctive marked cars.  I am not sure what the cost might be. 

Here are two links with some forum info:

http://ourmanhattan.org/importantdates.html

http://ourmanhattan.org/citycommissionelection2013.html

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

If folks visit the Our Manhattan web site, they’ll see that a number of the city commission candidates did not respond to OM’s request to complete a voters “quide.”  Mr. Jankovich was one of the candidates who did not complete the voters “quide,” but through “guessing” and “inferring,” a “quide” was completed for him.  I wonder if “guessed” and “inferred” “quides” will be completed for the other candidates as well? 

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.