My radio station
Posted: 16 February 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I listen to 98.5…I am not sure why.  Once in a while they play an old song that I like…they play only oldies.  Mostly they just recycle the same two hundred songs that all the oldies stations play.  They seem compelled to play “Unchained Melody” every couple of hours.  Ditto for “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay”...both songs make me want to puke every time I hear them. The satellite feed features an elderly DJ who happens to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame….who isn’t? He is actually pretty entertaining…much better than the previous feed to this station. It boasts non-stop music, it doesn’t boast about the non-stop commercials which are bunched in 7 minute groups.  These are the worst commercials you will ever listen to…so bad, they are almost entertaining…the first time.  The local affiliate which is a division of Morris Communications even advertises their Team W which helps the advertiser to word things in a way that is unique.  They apparently do this for free if you are a big advertiser.  Their tag line is “What have you got to lose?”...I might suggest your dignity, self respect, and possibly some customers.
I have conversed via e-mail with Scott…the elderly DJ…several times and suggested a little Less Town rather than every other song being Motown…to no avail.
One of the other fun things about the local affiliate is that Manhattan’s version of Ted Baxter comes on every hour and reads yesterdays news from the Mercury.  This guy is a trip.  He doesn’t read very well but he learned in broadcast school how to “punch ” words…Tiyouzday.
Anyone know of a reasonable alternative?

Posted: 16 February 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

98.5 is one of my regular staions to listen to.  They seem, lately, to have more disco which causes me to thump the station change button pretty quickly.  I also enjoy some of 106.9, Country Legends.  But, they play the same songs over and over and over and over…. much more so, I believe, than The TOC (98.5) does with oldies.

I’ve also began to listen to quite a bit of 610 Sports out of KC.  But, it’s getting too close to baseball season and I cannot stand baseball.  What I won’t listen to is any station that plays Limbaugh and his ilk.

Posted: 16 February 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
TOC is heavy on disco and Motown, neither of which I am a fan.  Scott told me that this is because these songs are the most requested, but I doubt that. On Bobby Goldsboro’s birthday, Robby mentioned that Scott hated the song “Honey”...so I requested it and dedicated it to Scott.  I also suggested that every time they play “Unchained Melody” it should be followed by “Honey”...then we can all puke together. Crimson and Clover, over and over and over and over.  They also seem to be fond of Tommy James, one of the original bubble gum boys.  They adore the four screamers (Tops).
When I was in Norfolk, they had a great oldies station…different stuff…Bungle in the Jungle!

Posted: 17 February 2013 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I do believe TOC has some young, minimum wage, entry-level computer operators constructing the tracks for play on the air.  They wouldn’t know The Dave Clark Five from The Animals… and don’t play them.  You are correct, in that one of the most repeated is Crimson and Clover.  I still like that song and most any by Tommy James and the Shondells.  Would like to hear more Jan & Dean, Surfaris, etc. But, TOC seems to be the closest we will get to hearing any of the songs of the 50’s and early 60’s. 
When I had Sirrius/XM, I would listen to 50’s on 5 and 60’s on 6, almost exclusively.  Now and then, I would hit the button for Elvis Radio.  But, satellite radio is about the only means of finding an exhaustive diet of golden oldies.

We have Cox Cable.  When there’s nothing on something like 100 channels… and that is entirely too often… they have some music channels.  We can sit and play Scrabble and have some good golden oldies playing in the background on the tv.

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

You guys are killing me. Did you just throw down with a Tull reference, Michael? My stars.

I listen to the oldies channel (is it really called The TOC now? Hahahaha that is hilarious) when something good is on it. I always stop for Elvis and Tommy James and the Shondells and most of the Motown. AND THE DISCO. My husband listens to the channel more than I do, and apparently when the most recent Neil Diamond greatest hits album came out (his 39th, and I’m not joking, I swear) they started playing a ton of his songs. Unfortunately it’s usually Solitary Man or Sweet Caroline. Is it ever Thank The Lord For The Nighttime? No. Brother Love? No. Soolaimon? Hahaha no.

I have a feeling you hate Neil Diamond, which is why I am bestowing upon you his version of Tommy James’ “Hanky Panky,” where Diamond bitterly makes fun of the song. Click on the gray bar to play. Enjoy.

Music Choice on cable is excellent. I listen to Singers & Swing constantly. They’re playing a lot of the really naughty Fats Waller songs lately, it’s terrific.

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Do not click on that gray button.  I don’t think I have ever done anything to you Stacia that would warrant that.  You are right, I am a Tull fan.  You are also right in that I despise Neil Diamond, the Treat Williams of music.  I especially don’t like those two songs which as you accurately point out seem to be the only ones they play.  I confess I did like Dr Love’s, but they don’t play it.  I am an Elvis fan but not of the crap of his that they play.  In the Ghetto is another puke inducing song.  They never play the good old Elvis songs.  Same with Ricky Nelson.  They seem to think that the only song he ever recorded was “Garden Party”.
Personally I lean towards folk music and even though it dominated the charts in the sixties, they never play any of it.  They do think Tommy Roe was important and they love the Doors, arguably the most over-rated band in the history of music.
They do have one segment on Sunday nights at 7 where they play only the early stuff, and that is pretty good.

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Stacia, Neil Diamond is my wife’s heart-throb.  I think she’s got a number of his CD’s.  We went to a Neil Diamond concert about 20 years ago and it was a fun event.  We’ve also been to a Beachboys concert.  In the 60’s, I even had the privilege of attending a Three Dog Night concert, before I really understood who Three Dog Night was.

The only disco I ever was in was on a trip to Stockholm.  There were five of us guys on a business trip.  We all left the hotel to walk around downtows Stockholm and saw what we thought was a bar that seemed to be overflowing with inebriated young folk.  None of us drank, but we thought it might be a fun place to sit and watch the nightlife.  Wow!  Do those Swedes drink!!!!!

Posted: 17 February 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I am stealing the phrase “Neil Diamond, the Treat Williams of music” and you can’t stop me. I love Treat Williams, by the way. As for Elvis, TOC does play “Suspicious Minds” quite a bit, and I know they used to play Nelson’s “Lonesome Town” but maybe they don’t much anymore.

Larry, we just went to see Diamond in concert over Labor Day weekend. It was phenomenal. I’m doing a writing project on Neil Diamond and have a huge stack of music magazines older than I am to read for research. Maybe my goal with this project is to make Michael go from “despise” to “mildly dislike.”

Posted: 17 February 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia and Larry
Treat Williams, like Neil Diamond, is simply there. Treat is a wooden actor…except for “Hair”. He doesn’t ruin a movie but he doesn’t add anything to it. Sort of like tom Berenger, or any of the Baldwins.  Generally, that is true of Neil Diamond.
“Suspicious Minds” or “I’m caught in a crap” is part of Elvis’ Lounge Lizard phase.  I suspect that younger folk probably wonder why he is called “The King”.  A Little Less Conversation….that would probably be his worst offering, is frequently played. They never play “One Night”, When my Blue Moon turns to Gold Again, or other classic Elvis before he was a wigged out drug addict, impersonating Liberace.
Adding to my dislikes…Barry “mush mouth” White, anything by the Righteous Brothers, certainly the Four Tops, the Bee Gees (except for “Nights on Broadway”),however, I do like the Guess Who, but again, they generally only play their worst songs.  Same for the Beatles…I never hear “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” or “Rocky Raccoon”. All I here is “Day Tripper”, not one of their best efforts.
My friends accuse me of being picky.  That is true.  I don’t like bad music.  Oh, as for likes…ELO, Manfred Mann, The Kinks,Cream, 10cc, Gordon Lightfoot and some Chicago…although they overplay “25 or six to four” I never could figure out what that meant.
By the way, Neil is just another Lounge Lizard.  By the way, if you haven’t heard, one of the Righteous Brothers, Bill Medley, will be performing live in Salina.

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, with all due respect, Elvis wasn’t lounge at any point in his career. He may have been a Vegas showman, but he was adult contemporary, pop, rock, gospel. Not lounge. And if you think “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” is called “Dr Love,” as it seems you do, then your opinion on Neil Diamond is pretty uninformed.

There is a huge difference between lounge music and light rock/adult contemporary. I listen to lounge music regularly, on Singers & Swing which I already mentioned, and on a WEFT show called The Bachelor Pad Radio Show. Big fan of early Wayne Newton, Tom Jones, Julie London, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Peggy Lee, Jo Stafford, etc. Now to be fair, not everything they sang was lounge, but a significant amount of it was. That is true lounge music.

Elvis didn’t do lounge. Neil Diamond doesn’t do lounge. The one time he tried a little lounge on The Movie Album he really stunk at it, because it’s not his genre.

Oh, and the featured guitar riff in Lightfoot’s “Sundown” was stolen from Neil Diamond’s “Holly Holy.” I’m not joking.

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry, if your wife likes Neil Diamond, she should watch this 1971 BBC mini-concert. She’ll love it. Tell her to bring tissues.

Posted: 18 February 2013 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

My deepest apologies to Brother Love. I confess I am not well-versed in Diamond lore.
“A Little Less Conversation and a Little More Action” is not lounge music…I grant, BAD lounge music?
I also like most of the people you mentioned with the notable exception of Wayne Newton. I have noticed that Neil Diamond fans are quite rabid, and in spite of my personal tastes think it is regrettable that he is not in the R&R Hall of fame, especially considering some of the people who are.  It also amazing to me that Connie Francis is not there either.  She should have been the first woman admitted.

Posted: 19 February 2013 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Neil is in the RRHOF! I know, it’s surprising. He was inducted in summer of 2011, so jetlagged he dropped more f-bombs than Rob Zombie did earlier that night. It was hilarious.

I don’t know why Connie Francis isn’t in the RRHOF. There are a lot of terrible omissions. I’d say Ellie Greenwich should be in the RRHOF, and Joe Cocker, and many others. I was pleasantly surprised to see Dion was admitted back in 1989, because a lot of people (including Diamond) got a LOT of their inspiration from him. But Donovan didn’t get in until this year, which is outrageous.

Yes, Neil Diamond fans can be overzealous. I love the man dearly, but it’s not the love Diamondheads have for him, which goes to an unrealistic extreme at times.  You’d be shocked if you knew what went on in the fandom, and I’m not talking the usual rock star stuff, I mean complete insanity. And that’s just the stuff I’ve heard of and/or experienced, as a new Diamond fan who isn’t really welcome on the fan groups; who knows what it’s really like. I think if you knew what some of the fans were like, you’d be a lot more sympathetic to Diamond. It’s a surprise the man ever leaves his house.

Posted: 19 February 2013 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I had a colleague who was in his late fifties, who drove 500 miles to see Neil.  He loved the guy. I will never understand the criteria that the RRHOF uses to induct folks.  Unless I am incorrect again, I don’t think Tommy James is in there either.  While I don’t care for his music, he sold a bunch of records. Connie Francis is a glaring omission. That woman topped the charts for several years and is arguably the first female R&R superstar.  Other than the obvious ones, some of their choices are highly questionable.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.