Where’s the ACLU when you need them?
Posted: 14 October 2012 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Today’s Mercury shows two… TWO locations for advance voting.  Registered voters can cast their ballots early at the Courthouse… or at the KSU Student Union.  What?? 

I understand the convenience of early voting.  My wife and I use that service most every election cycle… voting at the Riley County Courthouse.  My question is this.  Doesn’t adding the Student Union as an additional voting location give an advantage to the majority party of the younger generation?  Wouldn’t one think younger, more liberal candidates would have an immediate advantage allowing the students the ability to vote on campus… early?  Why not have early voting at Meadowlark, Stoney Brook, and Via Christie??  Why not have early voting at the Senior Center? 

Nothing ‘out of kilter’ with Riley County voting will make a bit of difference in the Presidential election.  The Kansas Electoral votes are already decided and will go to Willard.  The Student Union early voting could make a difference in local elections, especially the Sales Tax Referendum.  I, personally, am opposed to the sales tax issue.  However, the issue needs decided fairly.  Students believing their budgets would stretch further if the sales tax were lower, may well sway that vote.  OTOH, older citizens might see the advantage of having a sales tax mitigate the escalating property tax.  Yet, the students will have an unfair advantage over those more aged citizens due to the early voting location.

Surely, any close election will be challenged due to this inequity in the early voting locations.

Posted: 14 October 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry, Those durned liberals will do anything to get elected.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.