1 2 > 
1 of 2
I am anxiously awaiting a full story on this fire
Posted: 09 February 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Very strange it seems to me.  A 20yr old and a 19 yr old set a fire in an apartment complex.  This fire was fatal to a resident, even though it took only ten gallons of water to put it out.  The owner says minimal damage, but all the residents are removed. As an editor, I would reject this story line.

Posted: 09 February 2013 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  799
Joined  2012-10-10

As we know, “investigative journalism” simply is non-existent with our local media sources.  The alleged perps were trying to burn the evidence from an armed robbery at Dara’s.  What do you steal at a convenience store that burns?  Potato chips??  Sounds like whatever they did attempt to burn, must have emitted some debilitating fumes which resulted in the death of the young lady.  Hold up a convenience store and it results in cutting short the life of an innocent person… and could see capital murder charges filed against two perps.  Ya just can’t fix stupid!!!

The Mercury will simply say they can’t get any news from RCPD, due to the ongoing investigation.  And… even more important… The Mercury staff is off from Friday afternoon until Monday morning, except for sports staff.  Reporting on sports is much more important to the community than printing details of a crime resulting in felony murder charges.

Posted: 10 February 2013 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

News sources say Dr. Pallem died from smoke inhalation, and some people were trapped in the apartment and Dr. Pallem wasn’t found until they did a search of the place, so if she was in the smoke for a long time before being found, she would have been in trouble.

Other websites report Scahill’s roommates were busted for sticking up a Dara’s last week, like Michael mentioned, but that Scahill wasn’t involved. I also found some reference to Scahill being arrested in October, 2011.

Griese’s Facebook rather unfortunately has fire listed as one of her interests.

Posted: 10 February 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I read the article on today’s paper, but I still don’t get it.  Why did they start the fire?  Where did it start? How did the police conclude that these two were responsible? How were people trapped in an apartment with such a small fire?
I am certain that there are answers to these questions but they were not in that news story.

Posted: 10 February 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Heard thius morning the total “haul” from the convenience store stickup was $72.00.  Evidently, the perps thought they could be identified by the clothes they were wearing when observed on the security cameras.  So, they decided to burn the clothes in their apartment.  The fire was small… 10 gallon of water extinquished it… but the smoke was pretty thick.  If the young lady had any kind of a respritory issue, it wouldn’t have taken much smoke to trigger deadly consequences.  $72.00 and it cost a promising young lady her life.  $72.00 and two young people are charged with felony murder.  One of those charged won a prestigious scholarship just a year ago.  Lives lost and lives ruined over $72.00.  Our society is truly broken.

Hasn’t been that long ago, some vet students were traveling back to Manhattan from a party.  Another young man with a promising life and career ahead of him took two lives due to his driving while under the influence.  Two lives taken and another one ruined over young folks thinking they need to drink alcohol to be “cool”.  Elected officials in the community where the two lives were lost to drunk driving champion binge drinking events like Faux Patty’s Day.  That event is coming up in anothe month.  Youth will be encouraged by peers to participate in drinking until all semblence of reason is lost in an alcoholic stupor… and the City Fathers applaud from the dais as they suggest this is all “free enterprise” and we dare not allow ‘gubmint’ to interfere.  Our society is truly broken.

Posted: 10 February 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

This sounds like a lamentation, Larry.  I will lament with you. Just got the third e-mail from my daughter.  She was in a car accident…her fourth.  She said she was t/boned but sent me a picture of her truck which had the front end smashed. She sent me two “I sure do love you daddy” e-mails and then, predictably the third which is always a request/demand for money.  These accidents have all been alcohol related, and, the only reason she is not in jail is that they don’t want to pay for her hospital bills.
The fire thing was tragic and I still don’t quite understand all the circumstances.

Posted: 11 February 2013 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I can see these idiots dousing a pile of clothes with a bottle or two of kerosene they picked up at the store, then lighting it in their own apartment in a trash can or sink, thinking it would just burn in a small fire.

WebMD has a lot of detail about smoke inhalation. The gasses, lack of oxygen due to a fire, irritants, chemicals in fire can all cause serious injury or death. Confusion is one of the symptoms of smoke inhalation, so perhaps the victim and others were suffering from smoke inhalation and couldn’t see well due to the smoke. That would explain why they were trapped.

Posted: 11 February 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

Except that the addresses of the suspects are not the same as the building where the fire occurred:  1838 Anderson and 221 N 5th are the addresses of the suspects, and 820 Sunset is the location of the fire.  Of course, 1838 Anderson and 820 Sunset are near each other, and it’s possible residents new each other, but anyway, the address of the fire is not the address of the suspects.

Posted: 11 February 2013 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-12-29

Larry and everybody—please be careful about posting things that you heard. I remember with the Tyler Dowling / Cole Drake case, there were all sorts of rumors flying in this forum, around town, on the WIBW website, and elsewhere for all I know. Many / most of them turned out to be wrong. Posting rumors and speculation is how jury pools get tainted and mistrials happen.

Posted: 11 February 2013 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Dave… I certainly appreciate the concern. From the beginning of time, humanity has thrived on rumors… gossip… juicy stories.  I grew up on a country party line.  Sheesh!  The neighbor laides spent their time “gossiping” about everything from the hussy who lived a couple miles north, to the off-key voice in the church choir, to rumors of who turned over the school outhouse.  As you suggest, internet rumors run rampant from forum to forum and from website to webstie.  Fifty years ago, there was no way we would ever get Edith and Inez to quit spreading rumors about Myrtle.  Today, internet gossip will run rampant.  Court systems must deal with that fact.  The jury selection process must take into account some candidates will have formed opinions based on what they have read or seen on the internet or in the newspaper or on television. 
Our justice system provides the guarantee that any alleged criminal is innocnet until proven guility in a court of law.  Does that guarantee provide assurances a person will not be tried in the public eye?  Of course not.  Does O.J. Simpson ring a bell?  What about the recent Anthony trial in Florida?  The Travon Martin/Zimmerman case has seen millions of internet threads generated, putting forth opinion after opinion… rumor after rumor.  Yet, if that case ever does come to trial, it is the responsibility of the court system to find an impartial jury.
In this case, a young lady’s live was snuffed out entirely too soon.  Other young people’s lives have been shattered by poor decisions.  Until such cases are tried… and even after verdicts are adjudcated… rumors and gossip will continue.

Posted: 11 February 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Just for the record, I wasn’t trying to start rumors.  I was just commenting that the whole story sounded a bit odd.  I know nothing about any of the people involved. When we hear the kind of story that was published, it is so bizarre, that it almost invites speculation.

Posted: 11 February 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-12-29

Larry—certainly you’re right that gossip and rumors will always be with us. But our choice is whether we make the problem better or make it worse.

Posted: 11 February 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Stacia Jones - 11 February 2013 07:24 AM

I can see these idiots dousing a pile of clothes with a bottle or two of kerosene they picked up at the store, then lighting it in their own apartment…

Kathy Dzewaltowski - 11 February 2013 08:05 AM

Except that the addresses of the suspects are not the same as the building where the fire occurred…the address of the fire is not the address of the suspects.

No need to take what I said quite so literally. I’m not trying to solve a crime here.

My entire point was regarding smoke inhalation and how the smoke even with a small fire can be fatal, which Michael doesn’t seem to believe. I brought up the example of clothes burning merely as conversation based on Larry’s comment, because clothes burning (or even small amounts of flammable liquid burning) can cause enormous amounts of smoke. It wasn’t meant as an actual theory.

But point taken. I will refrain from using examples to illustrate my point, since we’re all in danger of tainting an entire potential jury pool who will believe some brief anecdotal comment on the world’s smallest newspaper forum before they’ll believe what they hear in a court of law.

Posted: 12 February 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

“world’s smallest newspaper forum”....hahahahaha

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Michael Hadley - 12 February 2013 08:22 AM

“world’s smallest newspaper forum”....hahahahaha

... but large enough to influence juries and cause mistrials.  I failed to allow my eqo the privilege of recognizing the power two grumpy old men and one pretty saavy young lady have harnessed in their keyboarding talents.

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

BS…as Stacia pointed out, this tainting of juries is, indeed, BS. I suppose that if you read a newspaper, you are also tainted as a juror.  As you pointed out Larry, gossip has been going on a long time.  I doubt that it affects a jury.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.