I was just trying to remember
Posted: 06 February 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Does anyone remember Happy Joe’s Pizza?  If I remember correctly, they were in the Independence Mall in Kansas City.  Wonderful pizza…their specialty was a canadian bacon/sauerktraut pizza…tasty.  I also think they served ice cream.  Am I deluded, or was this place real?

Posted: 07 February 2013 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Doesn’t the KC Star have a discussion board where you could ask?  Maybe someone who has been a life-long resident of Misery… Woops!  Missouri… could remember.  We lived in Johnson County for 10 years, but didn’t spend much time on the Misery side of KC.

Posted: 07 February 2013 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I tried google.  It was real but, sadly no longer there.  They still operate stores in other places however.  I’ll bet you never ventured over to Stephenson’s Apple Farm restaurant either…a truly wonderful restaurant which fell victim to urban sprawl not too many years ago.  It was just outside of Raytown…and they served free apple cider while you were waiting to be seated.  Ever tried an apple daiquiri?  Very tasty…probably much tastier than your apple vinegar drink…but, it is too late…Stephenson’s is gone.

Posted: 08 February 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-10-11

I grew up in KC / Overland Park / Lenxa…. all over the area.  A yearly birthday tradition was a trip to Stephenson’s Apple Orchard for dinner. The place was Amazing!  So sad to hear it’s no longer there.  I was looking forward to introducing my kids to a piece of my own childhood.

Edited for spelling. Every other board I participate in has built in spell check…..

Posted: 08 February 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-10-11

How about Mike Murphy’s Pizza Paddle - 103 and state line I believe.  Anyone remember that one?

Posted: 08 February 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Sadly, Darren,
It is gone.  It closed in 2007, I think.  A sad day for KC.  One of the kids opened a knock-off which is still open but apparently, is terrible.  I wish I had the recipe for that green rice casserole they used to serve.  I did learn from a waiter how to do gizzards.  It is simple…you boil them all day and then add the BBQ sauce.  Like you, I miss that place.  It was a charming environment and had excellent food.  Great bar, with all sorts of daiquiris overlooking the orchard. Damned kids sold it to a developer.  I think it is a strip mall now.

Posted: 08 February 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I do remember Murphy’s.  There were a lot of neat restaurants in that area.  Most of them are gone now.  If you want to have some fun and old-fashioned food, take a trip to Pittsburg, KS.  Chicken Annies is still there after 75 years or so, and Jim’s Steak House. You can also have a great breakfast at Harry’s or Otto’s cafe.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.