George W Bush…the movie
Posted: 05 February 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I finally worked up the courage to watch “W.” the movie about the life of GW Bush directed by Oliver Stone.  I refused to watch it initially, because Stone is, from time to time, wont to make films about insignificant people…eg “The Doors”.  This, I felt would be comparable.  But, for $1 at a yard sale, I thought I would give it a try.  Now, Ollie is well known for making stuff up, and I am certain he was no fan of GW, but if even 1% of what he showed in this film was true, the entire Bush cabinet was even crazier than I thought. I will say that Richard Dreyfuss was a perfect Darth Cheney…even looks like him, essentially reprising his role as the nutty Alexander Haig in “The Day Reagan was Shot”.
If you want a good laugh, I think you can probably find this movie in the $5 Wal Mart bin.

Posted: 06 February 2013 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

The Doors was the second best movie without a plot I’ve ever seen, the first being Altman’s MASH. That’s not to say The Doors was a good movie, because it was not a good movie, but it was hilarious in that it didn’t have a plot or any reason to exist, really, except to showcase Kilmer’s acting ability.

I will eventually watch W, but I have a backlog of many hundreds of films to see, so it’s gonna have to wait.

Posted: 06 February 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
One of the reasons I wanted to watch it was the local tie-in.  About 90% of the principal characters were Landon Lecturers, although none of the actors who portrayed them have ever been invited. It was fun to watch George senior threaten to whup Juniors butt…even if it was just a dream sequence.  The movie is disjointed.  It leaves out critical moments, such as the disputed election, 911, and other things that were critical.  It, perhaps unfairly portrays most of the cabinet as religious fanatics on a par with Islam. In one scene W tells his father that God has told him to run for president.  If that is true, it could lend credence to the theory that God is dead…or suffering from advanced oldtimers disease. The only thing that saves this movie is an excellent cast…especially Scott Glen, Richard Dreyfuss and James Cromwell.  Brolin is so convincing as W that it made me shudder all over again…just like I did when the real W was running loose.

‹‹ Where’s Strawn?      Why? ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.