If I had a couple bucks…..
Posted: 03 February 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Store this morning.  Picked up a loaf of bread for $1.00.  I eat a sandwich for lunch, every day.  That single, $1.00 loaf of bread will last over a week.

During the same trip to the store, I picked up my Sunday Mercury.  $1.50 for a newspaper that is read through in less than 15 minutes.  Hmmm…. $1.00… enjoy for a week.  $1.50… enjoy for 15 minutes.  Even with the calories, the bread is probably better for me.  After reading the front page article on the Brownback regime and how local politicians are dealing with it, my blood pressure is increased to near dangerous levels.  Had to get to Dilbert to relax.

Posted: 03 February 2013 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry, you are paying too much for your bread.  Check at Dillons.  Almost every day they have their plain old bread marked down to $.49.  If you like fancy bread, go the the spoiled bread section at Wal Mart at the back of the store around the milk.  I get those half-baked loaves for around a dollar.  Of course, remember…the fancier the bread, the sooner it goes bad.
Shouldn’t you try to vary your luncheon menu…say shrimp cocktail every now and then, a salad perhaps, stuffed artichokes, hearty clam chowder for the winter days, crab legs.  I fear you may be in a rut with this daily sandwich thing.

Posted: 03 February 2013 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

In a rut?  7 days/week, bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.  Saturday and Sunday, I enjoy a dab of milk on it.  Monday through Friday… I eat it “dry”, cooked in a microwave w/water.  Five to six days/week, one slice of lunchmeat, one slice of Aged Swiss cheese, between two pieces of wheat bread for lunch.  No condiments.  Nothing else.  Four evenings/week, frozen veggies cooked in a microwave with a small dab of various meats added for flavor.  Every now and then, I’ll have a peanut butter sandwich for evening desert.

The 7 days/week oatmeal for breakfast has been going on for probably 12 years or so.  Rut?  Nah!  Slice of lunchmeat and slice of cheese between two pieces of bread for lunch, at least 10 years.  Rut?  Nah!  Veggies for supper, a little over 3 years.  I did recently start having a “cocktail” about 5 p.m., just before supper.  I heat a coffee cup of water, add 2 teaspoons of Bragg’s Applie Cider Vinegar with the Mother, add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink it.  I love it, even though my wife says it smells like dirty socks.  Hippocrates, supposedly said apple cider vinegar with the Mother is a cure all.  I asked my personal physician and he said it couldn’t hurt.  The doc even said he had tried it, but couldn’t stand the taste.

I do splurge weekend evenings.  Friday evenings we are blessed to have kids and grandkids join us for supper.  Anything resembling a healthy diet goes out the window, that night.  This past Friday, I put a lasgna in the oven and we had it with a generous supply of garlic bread.  Once/month, or so, my wife and I treat ourselves with an evening at a local restaurant.  That venture never results in eating healthy… food or portions size.

Posted: 03 February 2013 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

No wonder you are so grumpy most of the time.  If I had to eat gruel for breakfast….or any time of the day for that matter, I would be grumpy.  I grew up on a farm and one morning…I must have been four or five…I came downstairs and mother had a bowl of that gruel on the table.  I asked “Did all the chickens die?” This earned me a slap up the side of the head from my father, who, like you, loved his gruel. A good breakfast for me is eggs, taters, a few slices of bacon, some sausage, and a biscuit or two drenched in gravy.  Maybe a dollop of corned beef hash…fill you right up.  One thing the navy cooks do well is breakfast. They aren’t so good with the rest of the meals but they serve up a fine breakfast buffet with all the aforementioned items.
By the way, your cocktail sounds disgusting.

Posted: 05 February 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

Pfft to you for having to put honey in your apple cider vinegar. Have it straight! Be a man!

Seriously, I do like a spoon of vinegar now and again just for the taste. When growing up, my dad put a little white vinegar in his chili, and I took to doing that myself. One day I accidentally ate the spoon of vinegar instead of putting it my chili, liked it, and was in my 20s before I realized everyone else thought it was weird.

I also like coconut. FEAR ME.

Posted: 05 February 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I learned from the Brits and Aussies that malt vinegar is required for all fried fish.  I like cucumbers drenched in white vinegar with onions.  However, I have never considered adding it to hot water and drinking it.
Great for cleaning windows though.

‹‹ Wow! Congrats, Ned!!!      Collect what??? ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.